Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Bump Steer

Petrolhead

Whilst the LF article, in my opinion, did a good job of explaining the technicalities of bump steer geometry the practical help was a little lacking. It did suggest that you examine the wheel movement with the spring/dampers removed and I suggest the thing to look for is changes in toe in/out as the wheeel rises and falls from it's normal ride height position. It's quite easy to gauge toe in/out using the 2 long straight pieces of wood in contact with the wheels method. Measure the distance between them in front of the nosecone and say 2 metres further forward and you will see if the wheels are running out or in. If you do this at normal ride height, full droop and full compression you will be able to work out whether the rack needs raising or lowering. I'm sure you get the jist of the idea. Having suggested a test method I can't see why you should have a problem as I'm assuming Caterham did a reasonable job with the geometry when they designed it. Could it be you have some weird non standard ride height setting that's causing grief? or ACB 10s? or too much toe out?