Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Removing the dash

Richard_E

Hi I am thinking of fitting a Carbon Dash and have a couple of questions.

1) How easy is the alumimium dash to remove, are there any pointers that I should be aware of?

2) Does anybody have a template or measurements of the current carbon dash that Caterham sell.

I am trying to fit this to a 98 dedion.

Cheers

Richard

Richard - I've been considernig the same job - do you know if the new CF dash comes with all the holes for dials etc drilled - or do Caterham supply it blank?

I heard from caterham that it can be a bit of a git to fit - but can't shed anymore light on it than that!

Nigel Abbott

You can get the panel in a number of configs:

- blank (cut everything yourself)

- precut for standard dials and switches

- precut for a Stack equipped race car (5 rocker switch holes and the triangle cutout for the Stack)

I suspect there may be another version too but can't think what it is (Stack with more switches perhaps). I also believe they are all the same price but could be wrong.

I didn't fit mine myself but I too have heard they can be awkward. I think this is because every car varies from the original "template" to one degree or another and so the fit isn't perfect. And shaping CF isn't necessarily easy.

Another thing to watch out for is the quality of the dash panel you get. Mine has a couple of weave irregularities in it which annoyed me at first. I've since grown used to them (even to like them!) but if you're near enough to Caterham it might be worth popping down in person to see what they have available.

C7 AJM

Thanks for that - I ask as I might want to play around with the config of the dash - am I the only one who thinks that Marina switches look pants?

I suspect that this could be a winter job as I don't want to miss the two days sun shine scheduled for BST!!!!!! There was also a thread on here about fitting LED's in place of the standard dash lights - I've bought these from RS in readiness.

Nigel Abbott

Nigel

If you can find a suitable set of switch gear to replace the antiqauted Caterham originals , please let me know. A nice set of Ali rockers would be my preference. I have tried to locate these , so far without success. Nothing in RS or Farnell that I could find that would be suitable.

ALan Wain

L7 VVC (by August I hope!)

Edited by - Al Wain on 23 Apr 2001 17:39:51

Vehicle Wiring Products here have one of the better selections that I've seen, but I haven't seen anywhere that does ali' rocker switches.

It might be worth a speculative query to someone at TVR as they must have a decent source for bespoke switchgear. But I doubt it'd be cheap.

I was initially going to get all metal toggles for the various switches, but decided the std. rockers weren't too bad after all (functional!). I will, at some point, replace the indicator and high beam switches with metal ones as the plastic ones are nasty and fragile.

C7 AJM

Andy ,

The other kind of dash you can buy is for aeroscreen cars , without holes for wipers etc .

Nigel ,

If you want to have a play around with the dash design , cover it in 3" masking tape . Mark the center line and be a little different [:-)].

For switches , take a look at some standard road cars the ones on "er of the nearside's " 306 would look quite good me thinks ?? .

• 3 months later...

Sorry to drag up an old topic but has anybody had any experience in working with carbon fibre. I am thinking of fitting a "homemade" carbon dash and will be buying a dash size sheet. From this I will be cutting out the correct shape and necessary holes for the dials and switches etc.

Main questions so far...

Can CF be sanded and drilled in the same manner as regular fibreglass?

Does it "give" a little?

Is it prone to cracking and of splintering?

Can anyone recommend a source of CF sheets?

All info welcomed.

Steve

cool.gifScream...if you want to go faster!!!id=limegreen> cool.gif

Steve,

Forget it. The Caterham dash has a radius return on the underside.

It does not bend, and it will crack if you are not gentle with it, especially if it is wet layup as most sheet is.

In general the dash panels are musch easier to fit if you remove the scuttle. I've fitted a few in my time.....

Fat Arn

See another FAT ARNIE here

See a meaty Vauxhall car here

See the Le Mans Trip Website here

See the Lotus Seven Club North Kent Website here

CF also seriously blunts sharp cutting objects in my very limited experience (putting 4 holes in indicator pods I acquired from Arnie). So make sure you're not using HID's best kitchen knives, knitting needles or anything else she/you may covet.

I, of course, would never do this...smile.gif

I guess sand paper would be next to useless on it, unless you have plenty of it kicking around or it was particularly coarse.