Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Cam belt change on VX

Colin S

Can any of you knowledgable people tell me where I can obtain a cam belt tensioner tool KM-666 (Vauxhall special tool)?

Secondly has anyone done a cam belt change on a Vauxhall 2 litre? Is it very difficult? Should I attempt it or should I stump up the cash and have a reputable agent do it for me? If so do you know of a good one in the Milton Keynes area?

K8 GRS VX

I've never used the proper tool for this.

Best tension assessment is based on about 10mm up and down movement combined on the short section between the cam pulleys. This should be measured by grasping the belt between finger and thumb as hard as you can.

Check after the engine has run and the belt tension has equalised around the whole belt path.

Most important - srt the engien to TDC and mark the cam pulleys at their closest point before removing the old belt.

Have fun!

Arnie Webb

The Fat Bloke blush.gif in a not so Slow Vauxhall wink.gif

See the R500 eater here

See the Le Mans Trip Website here

Colin, I've just had to do this and it can be a little nerve-racking! Eensure that you don't move the crank (ie, leave the car in gear and push it) when you have the cam belt off. The Haynes manual explains the procedure pretty well mind you (I have it in pdf format should you need to check anything).

As Arnie says, the cam belt tensioner is not really necessary (as long as you can't twist the belt over 90' it's 'about' right smile.gif), also check to see if the belt has a direction. The one tool that will save you a lot of grief is the cam locking tool, this can be bought from Draper/Allparts etc and is well worth getting hold of.

Before starting the engine after replacing the belt jack up the rear and turn the wheels (with the plugs out). If there are any funny knocking noises or a huge amount of resistance check the TDC marks.

Good luck!

graeme finlayson / tyre warmer / fluke motorsport

graeme.finlayson@vicorp.com / here

Before anyone gets confused these are two different ways of checking cambelt tension. Arnie says move the belt 10mm up and down between the two pulleys, Graeme says twist it 90 deg. What Graeme neglected to say was that the 90 deg is in the long free leg between the exhaust cam and the idler. If you can turn the bit between the cam pulleys thro 90 deg then it's a bit slack....

I agree with both, it's not too difficult, I've done plenty and never used the right tool or even seen one.