Click here if you are having website access problems ×

1.8 K Series 140BHP, Reliability/ problems

G. Winter

Guy

I fitted an oil temperature sender by (very) carefully drilling and tapping the sump bolt. It's been in a year now with no problems whatsoever (touch wood!). It is amazing just how long it takes for the oil to get up to temperature as others have also pointed out. A good 15 minutes compared to the couple of minutes for the water.

Chris

2003 1.8K SV 140hp see it here

Chris

Good thinking! Any chance you could send me a photo of the sump plug? What sender did you use?

I'm still thinking I'll go down the Apollo route before any trackdays, but this sounds a good plan in the meantime.

Pleasantville - the fan switch is on the top of the radiator (rear side) next to the top hose and has two wires going to it.

Correct coolant is Comma XStream Red (OAT) - comes concentrated or ready mixed in 1 and 5l itre containers. Check that this is correct for an R500 though *eek*

Guy

See some pictures of the build here. PBC and SVA complete - waiting for March 1st!

Guy

I used a "TIM" brand oil temperature gauge and sender from Halfords. Can't remember the exact price but around £25 rings a bell. The sender is a 1/8th NPTF thread (ie: tapered) which I wrapped with a piece of PTFE tape as well. No leaks whatsoever. The PTFE tape will be cut as you screw the sender home, so don't worry about any earthing problems. (It earths through the sender thread).

I also took the precaution of buying a new sump plug from Caterham first, just in case anything went awry!! Luckily it didn't. I slowly drilled and tapped the sump plug increasing the hole diameter to the correct measurement in about 5 stages to avoid damaging the plug. It works a treat and I am well pleased with the effort.

I have put 4 photos of the installation (2 of the sender and 2 of the gauge) on my website (just click below). They are the last 4 photos on page 3 ( *eek*).

Chris

come on guy you know you might as well bite the bullet and just get that 1st upgrade....anti-cav tank 😬

Just got one fitted to mine I've almost crashed twice now playing with the toggle switch for oil and water temp instead of looking where I was going. Its got to be worth if for peace of mind if your doing track days.

Shining White

I can only say that the temperatures I see are the same as other people typically report. It's typically between 70 to 80 deg C on a cold day rising to about 90 to 95 deg C on a very hot day.

I also checked it out with Roger King (of Roger King engine fame) via email before I decided to go ahead and he saw no issue with it.

At the end of the day, there will be few of us who need to know whether the oil temperature is exactly 75 deg C or 82 deg C or whatever. I use it as an indication that the oil is up to working temperature and as a warning (should it ever happen) that the oil is hot enough to cook chips and something is wrong.

Chris