Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Technical Forum - Sat 28th Feb - Definately Cancelled

Silver 21

Hi All

It is looking likely with only a week to go that we simply do not have enough people to make this day viable and worth running. We certainly do not have enough (in some cases none)representation from all the classes so it kind of defeats the object of the day.

There was due to be an article in this months LF, but the fact it has arrived late and also that the article has been missed out does not help the situation. *thumbdown* *thumbdown*

I will wait until the weekend to make the final descision and will contact all registered contenders via email confirming whether it will go ahead or not.

If we do cancel I suggest we try and have a meeting at somewhere like Curborough where we can guarentee to have a spread of people from all classes.

Sorry guys but I can't see the point of hiring a venue to discuss possible changes if only 20 people are likely to turn up. *confused* *confused* *confused*

Graham

Competition Secretary

*cool* How many events for 2004?????? (It looks like 9) *cool*

Edited by - Bacon Butty on 22 Feb 2004 15:25:34

Graham, as a newbie looking into taking part in some of the sprints this year I was unsure whether it was worth me attending this meeting. Although keen to understand what is involved do not want to get in the way of serious discussions.

I will not be entering at Lydden but will be going along to talk to people.

BB - thats a shame, buut not the end of the world...

Alan - I suspeect the discussions where not all going to be serious and *wink*

Come and say hello at Lydden and I am sure there wiill be plenty of people to ask any question with regarding sprinting

David - what I suggest is the following

*arrowright*1 fnd a local competitor or scrutioneer to talk to who can check for the obvious car and person regs that you have to comply with (there aren't that many to be honest)

*arrowright*2 on the day find someeone in your class to adopt you and help you get thtrough the day on the what you have to do front, this is what I did for my first sprint and I found it extremely useful (again there isn't a mass of things you nneed to remember)

rob

*smile*

Graham

Sorry to hear this, please keep us posted as you said. After all the vigorous debate on BC, I would have thought we would have had a full house for the tech forum. Shame.

How many do you have on your books as coming along? I always had the impression there would be some 15-20 of us. Or is that just all from class 2? *wink*

Guy

NN 😳

Alan,

This is my second season, so I remember well the feelings of what it is like to be new into sprinting.

What you will find is that the regs are easy to comply with and the days not nearly as stressful as you think they will be. I will be at Lydden (red Q plate with aeroscreen towed by black jeep) so come and say Hi.

BB - Won't be able to attend anything much further North than Northampton, but will do my best.

Steve

Update - Sunday 22 Feb - 3.26pm

Out of 60 registered competitors only 23 have put their hand up for next Saturday with no representation for Class 1 or 5 at all. Email has been sent to all those that have registered.

These numbers also make it unviable to hire the venue and source catering, Sorry ☹️

Graham

Competition Secretary

Hi Bacon Butty

First as stated off list thank you for the e-mail sent to me advising of the cancellation. Nothing like the personal touch. Still thats rather the norm for you given all the postings on Blatchat it is appreciated

As stated to you I am in sunnier climes, well I hope, so that day. However, as I would have contributed little its unlikely I would have attended.

I rather think that the real contentions are not in classes 1 and 5.

As to new sprinters think I send some proberly poor advice as it was me a couple of years ago arriving feeling lost. Think some would say I still do

Best Regards

Bilbo

Edited by - Bilbo on 22 Feb 2004 19:24:03

Hi Alan

Well my first event was Curborough err May 2001.

I arrived rather unprepared, I had missed out on the Caterham day and it was the Marshals day.

Never had been there before I no idea what the track looked like and I arrived late having failed to find it for 45 minutes, it was further than I thought. So allow plenty of time.

Its a great track lots of fun as are the rest that I subsequently attended. Took ages to stick the white backgrounds on, I now fit them in advance. Make sure the are well fixed as the first time I did this in advance the bloody things started to peal off on the M1. DO NOT put the numbers on until you arrive.

Scrutineering

Before you leave cover both battery terminals the earth lead in yellow tape. Tape on both seems ok. I normally have the corner of a big ice-cream box taped over each terminal as well as the yellow tape.

Currently the race seat belt bolts from Caterham seem an issue as the do not fully through the fixing. So fit longer ones.

You need a permitted race suit and helmet, make sure the bloody boot racks security fitted the loss and recovery of mine is well documented.

Take your MOT and make sure your tax disk is current, nobody has ever asked me for MOT but some were on the Marshals day. Proberly trailered and no tax disk, in hindsight. I also take registration document.

Timing strut do not forget it.

Be safe fit a petty bar.

Make sure the cars within class particularly the tyres.

Take a few tools and spares... not a lot normally for me just spare plugs, throttle cable clutch cable and plus nothing from the norm.

This year the Head Restraints, think a lot will fit on the day, if you do allow time for that when you arrive.

Arriving a little late is not always a problem they will want you to compete.

Well unpacked then registered, mistake register first then unpack or rather look at how many are waiting. Make sure before you leave home you have a photo on your Sprint Licence, 2 years on I was rushing to get a photo before the start.

If you keep or remove the rear spare tyre is a matter of choice. If wet, hope you do not need it, weather equipment again you choice.

Put your numbers on.

Walk the track. DO walk the track. Listern to the briefing, even if it makes you late for the first run.

MY first time being late I had no time to walk the track, so again arrive early walk the track maps are VERY misleading.

If your not in classes 1 to 3 you have plenty of time. In fact if your in a higher class its nice to give them first go at Scrutineering .

So you get 2 or 3 un-timed runs so just go slow find out how you, the car and the track interact.

Forget anyone else's times its irrelevant, its just you and the car verses the tarmac.

Tyre warming personal view fun, little else but others disagree. Then again I am not likely to win.

Start drop the clutch to get the smoothest away, no point staying there warming the tyres up having already tripped the green light.

Start you get a group of numbers called, pay attention the sounds not always great.

Join the rest at the start they will put you in number order this is to help the results. Be nice assist in being in place.

So the first run.

Well hopefully your not the first in class you drive up to the lights told when your in postion and see a red light when it changes to green go in your own time. No rush and do not go just because its just changed to green. Its not a race track. However, do not chose to watch the world go by.

No rush on first run still a few to go, take it like its a normal bit of road you have never seen. Watch the camber changes, note any damp patches. Check the position of the timing lights.

Finish the run then go and watch the rest play, its normally a rather limited view make a few new friends. Do not take all their advice they are not you. It will be conflicting anyway but ask. Do not forget your going to get called again. Go back to the car when they call the group before you.

Ask for advice in everything. Nobody will mind. Need tools again ask, doupt you would not get help.

Check the car after a run.

Do not play to much with suspension and tyre setting these are for re-visits unless its totally off.

Again watch out for damp patches as you go faster. Going fast makes you first but spinning = no recorded time. If you do do off the car goes faster on grass.

As to the rest of you did I forget anything

Oh ask me, I will tell you the best way to be last in group but even that's FUN

'Can you hear me running' ......... OH YES and its music to my ears 😬 😬 😬

1988 200 bhp, 146 ft lbs, 1700cc Cosworth BD? engineered by Roger King, on Weber's with Brooklands and Clamshell wings, Freestyle Motorsport suspension.

PS I am sure I will have missed something and others will give better advice

PSS edited an odd typing error 23 Feb 2004

Edited by - Bilbo on 23 Feb 2004 19:21:25

Seriuosly though and to back up Bilbo' s posting above.

*arrowright*Don't be late- you should always walk the track and attend the Drivers Briefing.

*arrowright*Scrutineering /signing on/ getting ready always takes longer than you think

*arrowright*At scrutineering present your car in good clean condition and in particular:

Make sure your race numbers are in place

Your Helmet & Race Suit are ready for inspection

Your Earth Lead from the Battery is clearly marked with yellow tape

Your harnesses are securely bolted on!! (I've seen cars with these loose)

*arrowright*On your first run take it easy, after all its only a practice

*arrowright*Find out where the track goes at speed (it will look totally different to when you walked it)

*arrowright*If you spin off, don't panic, indicate to the marshalls you are OK and proceed in your own time

*arrowright*The competition is personal its about you having FUN and enjoying yourself

*arrowright*Don't be fooled by people changing tyres/pressures go with what works for you or ask why??

*arrowright*Don't be afraid to ask assistance from other competitors we were all novices once

*arrowright*The help and support in this Club is second to none, use it to your advantage

*arrowright*Most of all, ENJOY YOURSELF and make new friends as thats what its all about 😬 😬 *thumbup* *thumbup*

Graham

Competition Secretary

Hi all

One other thing drive very slow in the Paddock. After his posting make sure you hide the guy's, in the 'Black Van', Bacon Butty 😬 😬 😬

On second thoughts best not..... he may be bigger than me *wink*

'Can you hear me running' ......... OH YES and its music to my ears 😬 😬 😬

1988 200 bhp, 146 ft lbs, 1700cc Cosworth BD? engineered by Roger King, on Weber's with Brooklands and Clamshell wings, Freestyle Motorsport suspension.