Click here if you are having website access problems ×

I can't reach the pedals

fool on the hill

Well i can, just - but I have to have the seat so far forward I cannot then adjust the 4 point (Luke) harness lap straps sad.gif . (because the adjusters are between the side of the seat and the car)

so then i put the seat back, adjust the straps, (guesswork), put the seat forward check find its too tight or too loose and repeat until i settle for something thats not ideal - quick release thingy in pit of stomach etc.

So given that I am a complete dumbo mechanically should I try and adjust the pedals myself (to the nearest of the three positions mentioned in the handbook) or is there anything else i have missed?

( the harness adjustment is a real pain - I have to loosen the straps to be able to adjust/tighten them, whereas i am sure i have driven cars where you could simply pull the free end until it was tight.)

for the record I am five foot six - around the same height as Colin Chapman who apparently designed the first seven to fit him like a glove! (or so the story goes...)

any advice much appreciated!

But Colin used bench seats and a short cockpit. Back to reality, move the pedals to the nearest setting and then try to adjust them so that the steering wheel is in a comfortable position. If you are too close to the wheel (just to be able to reach the pedals) then control of the car will be compromised. Compare this to how a Maclaren F1 is fitted to the driver - the only no movable part is the gear stick, so they position the driver relative to that and then adjust the steering and pedals to suit....

If all else fails, Caterham can do pedal extensions (Aideen are you there???).

Cheers,

Graham

Have you tried adjusting the pedal position.

There are 3 positions for the pedals, take off the pedal box cover under bonnet beside bulkhead, held on with a number of screws. Check which position the pedals are in, the adjustment gives about an inch between each position.

Well Caterham don't do pedal extensions as such, but if you ask them nicely, they'll modify the pedals for you. The trouble with mounting the brake and clutch pedals in their "closest" position is that they tend to end up very high off the floor and with the pad part at a strange angle (hence the need for modification).

I agree with Graham that optimally, you need to set the seat a comfortable distance from the steering wheel and then extend the pedals to suit.

I know well the problem with adjusting the 4 point harness lower straps (and yes you need to fit these as tight as possible!) Pulling the free end to tighten usually works, it's just the confined space at the side of the seat that prevents it. Perhaps some small tipex marks wouldn't hurt the straps (one for heavy coat days, one for warm days, one for the other driver etc.) Since Luke make up harnesses esp. for the Caterham, maybe they would make you some special ones? (more money!?)

The alicomb floor panels are useful for raising small feet and drivers.

For the record I am five foot one and a half and have more luggage space behind the drivers seat than anyone else smile.gif

Aideen