Click here if you are having website access problems ×

My MX5 for sale. (funding 7 purchase!)

Chris__

the mazda is an incerdibly well balanced car with beautiful handling....

if you dont care for out and out speed and sharpness and just want pure limit-control fun on circuits then its prolly one of the very best cars you can buy ... esp at this sort of money and with japanese reliability

so, in summary, i dont see it as a pretender of anything.. and certainly not inferior

*thumbup*

The MX5 is a very rewarding drive. The fact that it does not have much power means that it is a technical car to maintain at a fast past. The speeds that you can carry through corners is excellent, and you certainly get a buzz out of driving it. I run a S type sport, Vauxhall Caterham and MX5. The MX5 is used in the winter when I am missing using the Caterham. Brilliant for blowing the cobwebs away on they way to work.

As you can see, I am a bit of a fan.

Agree the MX5 is a great little car, I had one for a couple of years and the hood down in 5 seconds practicality and nippy performance made it a joy to own.

The fact so many MX5's have been sold is testiment to its appeal, in a way it's a victim of its own success as there are so many about!

Parky

Edited by - Greg Park on 19 Feb 2004 11:51:57

Hi James.

It's not a special edition, just the standard UK 1.8iS (the top spec). That meant off the top of my head; Alloys, ABS, cockpit brace bar, MOMO leather steering wheel, alloy kickplates and speaker mounts, PAS, lockable stowages, and mine has a Kenwood single CD stereo. I believe leather was an option, but mine has cloth seats. You only really see leather on Eunos Roadster Japanese imports in my experience.

Any more questions fire away, or drop me a line. *smile*

Cheers.

Chris

Edited by - Chris__ on 19 Feb 2004 10:12:21

lol, you've misread me! She wouldn't buy from this dealer. It just makes more sense to test drive a car with the same spec as what she believes she would like from a private seller, through a dealership. This way she can be sure of what spec she could live with before she goes looking privately.

Whilst I think about it, can you forward me any pictures of the interior to mr_merc@hotmail.com please?

Edited by - James@Tiptree on 19 Feb 2004 16:06:38

My old MX-5 is coming to the UK from Hong Kong. One of the very first ones - 1.6, no cat, no power steering - a proper basic sportscar. Bex has a Boxster which is lovely and obviously I have my Seven which is stupidly fast, but the MX-5 is the most fun on a good windy road. It just is.

Having said that, for out and out pace, the boxster would eat it alive and the Seven is in a totally different league. 😬

The MK1 is a much better car than the MK2 as it is some 100kg lighter and much closer in looks to the Elan. They are also holding their value at £6k. The new model has been softened too much and has had some of the responsiveness of the steering dialed out. If you like the MK2 any Caterham driver would prefer the Mk1.

Hi James

What business are you in? Only I was thinking of popping along to your place of work (assuming you work & there is a customer facing aspect to the role), pick your brain for an hour, have you demonstrate your wares and then politely say goodbye and buy whatever it was we were discussing from the guy up the road because he's £xxx cheaper.

Whilst undoubtedly more expensive than a private sale (businesses tend to work better when making a profit, cost of prep, warranty etc), buying from a dealer does at least give you the satisfaction that you are preventing a kind, honest, law-abiding salesman from going hungry that month...

All said in good spirit I hasten to add before I'm shot down in flames for being in the pay of the retail motor industry...hang on, I am in the pay of the retail motor industry...!!! 😬

Rant over, extend the hand of friendship etc etc *wink*

P.S. I think the MX5 is a great little car, particularly for more year round use, though I have to agree the Mk1 is the one to have.

[Takes bait]Isn't this the bit where I start an argument about UK cars vs imports?

I looked at several (UK and import) MX5's at that money, and they were all very shoddy.

For an excellent condition, low mileage 97R car, that's a good price.

*holds hands up*

So how is my Girlfriend supposed to know what car she wants? Surely dealers are used to people just test driving the cars to get some form of idea. I suspect the amount of people that test drive a car, and then proceed to buy from that dealer is a very small ratio. This is surely the nature of the early stage of buying a car?!

She is inevitably going to buy second hand because:

a) The finance packages offered by Mazda dealers for a £12,000 car, in her current experience seem to be pathetic. Although perhaps this weekend might be interesing. (for 10k plus, why wouldn't she buy an integra type r or elise anyway ;) This is a good start on the rung of rear wheel drive reliable fun)

b) She won't lose anything like the money she would on a second hand mazda mx5, although known for maintaining value this applies to any new car.

c) She prefers the looks of the older models.

As such, the model she was intending on test driving this weekend is a 1.8iS and should confirm whether she could live with this spec.

When all is said and done, it is a bit cheeky and yes I understand your point. Having said this, I think this a better way of doing it, test driving the model and spec that she would be interested in, and being sure. Rather this than wasting private buyer's time, as per Chris for example, when she is not sure whether this is the spec for her. I suspect it is, but then £6000, for her, is a sizeable amount of money so it makes sense to choose something she will love.

As an amusing thought, I work in Halfords part time whilst at uni and look after the car audio section. I regularly get people coming in to get me to design systems for them, taking up my time and thinking. Usually these tend to be 30 plus year olds with the disposable income and wanting sat nav and a few other fancy things. I know that most of these will go elsewhere and buy cheaper having picked my brains, but I have to do it for the one person that spent £1300 based on what I suggested to him, two weeks ago. I just accept that most of these people will buy elsewhere, it's one of those things.

Hand of friendship received and any suggestions gladly taken on board.

Thanks for the pics Chris, I'll be in touch.

Edited by - James@Tiptree on 20 Feb 2004 10:05:02