Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Shopping list for upgraditis

Graham Sewell

With the recent hike in the cost of leaded 4* petrol (now £1.100 per litre), I am looking to get an unleaded conversion done.

Whilst the car is off the road anyway - and with a desire for a turnkey solution - I am looking for an engine builder who will take the car and do the work for me and return the car in a running state. So whilst the engine is being worked on, I am considering several issues.

The engine is a 1700 supersprint with 30,000 original miles on it and is starting to breathe heavier than it used to - not exactly unexpected. So:

Top of the list has to be forged pistons - or are Hepolites (used by Vulcan) good enough?

Beside the obvious new valve seats for unleaded and possibly valve guides/valves, is there any other headwork needed. I am not after major power gains but a genuine 135-140bhp would be nice.

I am assuming that once we get to this price range, bits like timing verniers are to be an assumed essential.

What value is there in duplex timing chains if the engine is never going to be put on a track? Similarly steel rocker posts?

If Roger was back in business, there would be no discussion over who I would like to do the work. But in his absence, I am short-listing the following:

Vulcan Engineering. They have been around a long time and are reasonably local

Burton Power. I get the feeling that they probably know these engines quite well

Gerard Holloway (aka Virtual 7) as he knows my car already.

ProTune as it is located at Ratrace and they know my car as well.

I have toyed with the idea of a VeganTune Twin Cam, but that becomes too exotic for most support issues.

Is there anything that I am missing, either in terms of specification or who should do the work?

My next step after any comments from guru's out there will be to contact the shortlisted folks and see their recommendations.

Low tech luddite - xflow and proud!

Graham,

Something of a well trodden path I think! I decided exactly the same thing at the end of 2002 - for the same reason. I also only wanted to go to a reasonable output (initially anyway!) and went for what Chris Wheeler/Roger King referred to as their Supersprint Plus which is expected to be about 140bhp.

Can't help much about the type of forged pistons - RK sorted all that out (and did all the work for which I am eternally grateful!). The other main bits I can think of were:

-steel rocker posts

-new valves and single springs

- u/l valve seats and some head work

-replaced camshaft (no real signs of wear but problem if needs replacing later)

- rebore (to 83.5mm?)

-tuftrided crank and rockers

- competition main and big end bearings

- Cosworth big end bolts

- high capacity oil pump

- Alpha 3D electronic ignition

- Electric fuel pump

Duplex timing gear is not necessary until you go for more output than this. Not all these are necessary for the 140bhp but they were recommended if you want to go higher in the future. The electronic ignition is not a must but the spark is far superior to the original or the upgrades (so I am told) and given the small additional cost I thought it was really worth replacing. I can never understand how distributors can actually do what they need to do anyway - they seem so crude!!

I can only say that I am very happy with the results, although considerably poorer - but you get to keep a proper engine - a crossflow *smile* *smile*

Mike

I had considered a Zetec, but decided that I wanted to stay as original to the car as I can - it may be a double edged sword that I feel that I can do basic work on a crossflow, because I have to do basic work on a crossflow.

As hinted at above with my comment about the VeganTune, I believe that by sticking with a crossflow I will maintain the largest pool of support without selling the car and buying a K-series...

I would hope that I could get away with change from £2k, which would never be the case with a Zetec. Last time I tried to price up that route, it came out closer to £3.5k *thumbdown*

Low tech luddite - xflow and proud!

• Leadership Team

Graham,

I had the conversion done by Vulcan about 2 years ago when my engine was at the 25K heavy breathing stage. I went for their "stage 2" head and swapped to a 244 cam with Accralite forged pistons.

The car is now fantastic. The last rolling road claimed 160 bhp which I am sure is optimistic, but all the same I absolutely love the conversion. The Alpha 3D ignition was the icing on the cake.

I see you are down the road in Reading - if you fancy giving my car a try to feel what the conversion did for me, let me know!

regards - Michael.

Graham,

I'm in the same position, wanting to upgrade to ~140bhp.

So I will watch this thread with interest.

MikeS; if that's not a rude question, how much did your upgrade cost, (you can always email me)...?

MikeK

PS: I understood cast pistons can give reasonable life on a 140bhp car...

Edited by - MikeK on 16 Feb 2004 22:48:23