Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

SIERRA DRIVE SHAFTS

Guy Lowe

I have a 1990 De Dion which has disk rear brakes, the diagrams in the Haynes manual for the drive shaft/hub assembly for disk braked Sierra’s looks different and states you have to unbolt the shafts from the diff to get them off, mine just slid out! However the diagrams for the drum brake assemblies looks more like mine. Can anyone tell me if I am I being stupid or is my car fitted with the drum brake drive shaft/hub assemblies and disk brakes and if so is this standard?

Guy

There are 2 types of Sierra diff. The one you have and the one using bolt-on 'Lobro' shafts. They are not model specific as I think Ford dual sourced diffs/shafts at the time.

The ones in the manual must show the lobro type. AFAIK Caterham only use slide in shafts.

Tom

Thanks for your replies, Tom your right mine are the slide in ones and they are also detailed in the Haynes manual. The confusion was that the manual states that the 'Lobro' shafts are fitted to Sierra’s with disc brakes and the slide in shafts with drum braked cars, where as Caterham have used the slide in type with disc’s?

Thanks again

Guy

One end is off a Sierra the other is Caterham specific ( or some obscure car ) from GKN , the two are then mated together . I found this when I realised I has 32mm driveshaft nuts and not the normal 42mm ones .

Turns out that the shaft is 2 designs put together , and shorter than a Sierra driveshaft .

Dave

Edited by - Dave Jackson on 16 Feb 2004 09:07:08