Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Ground clearance on ferries

Steve Fleming

I am taking my Superlight with 13" wheels to France in a few weeks. Am I going to have ground clearance problems anywhere on the ferries, or for that matter, on the trains in the tunnel if I go that route?

Appreciate advise from all you guys who have already done this.

Steve

I'm on 13"ers and haven't had a problem on either.

The staff at the port/chunnel stop have always been very helpful too, guiding me carefully over anything that might cause hassle.

The biggest pain in the bum I find with France is that petrol stops can be few and far between, so if you're a bit slack in monitoring the fuel situation you can find yourself caught short! I've yet to run out properly but it has been very close on a number of occasions. Then again, petrol is much cheaper over there...

C7 AJM

There may be a problem with the disinfectant pools in use due to the F & M outbreak.

I suggest you advise the ferry company that your can cannot ride a 6 inch 45 degree slope which is what they have at Le Havre at present.

Generally ground clearence is not a problem. Just advise you are a low ground clearence vehicle to the ferry company and when you check in. Watch out for the iron tie downs for the trucks (liek big iron cats eyes) when you are on the decks. The loaders seem to forget about these and try to direct you to park right on top of them!

For those on the Le Mans trip we are getting a soggy blanket arranged if F & M is still at large!

Arnie Webb

The Fat Bloke blush.gif in a not so Slow Vauxhall wink.gif

See the R500 eater here

See the Le Mans Trip Website here

Thanks guys for the comments. Seems it'll be alright but it will pay to be careful.

Any suggestions for collecting tickets and paying at the peages? I won't have a passenger and undoing full harness and gettimg out of the car each time will be a pain. Some type of mechanical arm perhaps?

Steve

It seems the Eurotunnel is the only problem place for disinfectant baths - Sea Cat and the ferries both currently use mats of one form or another.

I've spoken to all over them over the last couple of weeks and was concerned that the woman at Eurotunnel was being a bit vague about the info she was giving out. She claimed the baths were only 2" deep but suggested that, if I could, I should use another car rather than a low slung sports car (I was planning on taking a TVR on a day trip). I have heard reports from people who have used the tunnel that the pits are more like 8" deep, BUT, they also have the facility to spray disinfectant on the wheels rather than make you take the car through the baths. This should certainly be an option for the Le Mans weekend although you may have to ask them to do it now. The pits on the French side aren't as bad, largely because they're also filled with straw but also because it is, allegedly, possible to find a way around them.

As has been mentioned in previous messages, it's probably a good idea not to leave the disinfectant on the car for too long as it seems to attack alloy wheels and, presumably, bare aluminium.

I've always had a passenger so not sure I can help there!

Paying on credit cards is easier than messing with cash though. And I'm sure you must be able to loosen the harness off enough to reach over. Then again, my arms are similar to Clyde's in the Clint Eastwood films smile.gif

C7 AJM

I'm VERY disturbed to hear that some disinfectant trays might be 8" deep!! That's above floor level, isn't it? The ordinary pads would be OK as there're at most places out in the country now anyway. As suggested I'll check with the companies before I go.

For the motorways will certainly use credit cards but doubt I'll be able to reach across even without belts. Looks like I'll have to get out and run around, or pick up some blonde hitchhiker!

No, you should be able to reach the buttons / tickets without getting out - simply unstrap, stand up and reach across. And when you get to the other end, make the buggers lean out of the toll-booth to take the cash / card smile.gif

I can't pay at peage booths, even with the harness undone.

This may sound daft but at bit of split cane does the job. Just stick the ticket and the notes in the cleft at poke it at the window. Tell 'em to chuck the change on the seat. Can't do that when you punch your circuit ticket at the Nordsleife booth, perhaps one of those devices for the infirm would do

I can't pay at peage booths, even with the harness undone.

This may sound daft but at bit of split cane does the job. Just stick the ticket and the notes in the cleft at poke it at the window. Tell 'em to chuck the change on the seat. Can't do that when you punch your circuit ticket at the Nordsleife booth, perhaps one of those devices for the infirm would do

I have 13in wheels and you will have to be careful if moving out of line ie crossing over the raised fixing eyes on the deck. I grounded very slowly on one going over to LeMans last year, no damage done but scary.

Best regards

Bob and Ann-Marie

I have 13in wheels and you will have to be careful if moving out of line ie crossing over the raised fixing eyes on the deck. I grounded very slowly on one going over to LeMans last year, no damage done but scary.

Best regards

Bob and Ann-Marie

Avoid eurotunnel, a very deep trough UK side.

Experience with ferries - was first vehicle off - pointed out ground clearance problem (13" wheels & low Zetec sump)and was put on main deck, right next to an enormous artic, wish I had taken a picture.

Lazy tongs is the device for toll booths (or blond hitch hiker).

I have a 'pick up stick', basically like a walking stick with a trigger in the handle and a grip at the end which operates when pulled..you can get them at any disabled or mobility shop. They are just the right length for grabbing tickets through passenger side, and have the added advantage of a magnet on the bottom, so are useful for retrieving washers and nuts and things.