Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

electric horns fitting

christian.v

A recent purchase is a set of Fiamm twin horns.They come with a 4 terminal relay. I propose to ditch the standard horn, which , I assume has a live feed down to it. I'm guessing that there is already a relay in the system--can I just piggy-back the existing feed from horn to horn, with the negative terminals going to the mounting point on the crossmember 🤔 *confused*

Suggest using the supplied relay.. use the feed from the Horn switch to energise the relay. Cat wiring is 'ahem' ..neither overly robust nor well executed..I'm convinced the Fusing is the wires themselves... no need to risk the consequences of an electrical fire... besides it couldn't be easier.. and there are INSTRUCTIONS in the Fiamm packaging.

• 1 month later...

Gents,

Where is the best place to take the wires from if I mount the whole shebang on the scuttle? Do I have to cut into the loom casing to ;ocate the original feed, or is it simple enough to get to the back of the whole fuse/relay thing and start anew?

Owner of *thumbup*The Wombat *thumbup*

membership number 10765

I used the existing relay and wired direct to the original horn wiring without any problems, that was 18months ago and no probs since.

As a point of interest I also wired it using the extra relay that comes with the kit and it didn't like it, if I kept pressing the horn ie. like the Italians tend to do in traffic !! then the horns stuck on, hence went back to the former!

Phil S7SVN

Horns fitted.

I removed the three bulkhead screws holding the fuse/relay box and found a spare purple/yellow wire from the horn relay. I popped this through the grommet that used to have some heater wires through it. Mounting the air horns and lump was a little more problematic but I used the same screws for the fuse/relay to hold the horns and drilled a new hole to the far nearside of the bulkhead. Job done. Can't wait to join in with the Italians celebrating something.