Click here if you are having website access problems ×

4 speed Straight Cut

Casbar

Is anyone running a 4 speed straight cut box. My standard 4 speed box on my x-flow is sick. I have been offered a 4 speed quaife straight cut box.

How noisy is the box? What is the advantage over a standard box.

Rgds, Robert

Casbar,

I can't comment on a four speed, but last night Phil Stewart (Road & Race g/boxes) kindly took me out in his 5 sp straight cut box. OK, it's his car & he obviously does a damn fine job on g/boxes, but the thing sounded great; no brilliant. Noise really is not an issue unless you always have the hood up (why ?). I was expecting a lot of whine etc, but can honestly say that it really did not enter the equation!!!

Certainly has changed my preconceived ideas against s/c boxesthumbsup.gif

It's like everything as a passenger you don't notice things so much.

The 5th gear whine on the 5 speeder is a bit loud. Especially at 50 - 60 mph. Use 4th and then into 5th at 60+ and you can barely here it.

I would have liked whine on 1st - 4th and quiet in 5th but you get quiet in 4th instead.

Now with the 4 speeder that is exactly what you get. Whine in 1st to 3rd and quiet in top.

A friend in Sweden has the 4 speeder SC box in his Caterham and he loves it.

Less power loss in the transmission with SC too.

I can confirm previous posts - the 4 speed sc/cr box is noisy in 1st to 3rd (even noisier on over-run) and quiet in 4th. You'll need to give it some welly in 1st to get a quick start with out bogging down, but 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th are just wonderful; the engine revs drop right into the torque band on a x-flow without having to rev the nuts off in the lower gear.

I can confirm previous posts - the 4 speed sc/cr box is noisy in 1st to 3rd (even noisier on over-run) and quiet in 4th. You'll need to give it some welly in 1st to get a quick start with out bogging down, but 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th are just wonderful; the engine revs drop right into the torque band on a x-flow without having to rev the nuts off in the lower gear.

Clive,

Glad to see you have mastered the art of computing. Unless you have forgotton, my x-flow with only 4 gears, managed to keep up with you a couple of Sunday's ago. At least mine starts every time!!!!