Click here if you are having website access problems ×

HT lead conundrum

Mike Bey

A rolling road session last week told me that the no.3 HT lead on my VX XE is buggered. A new set of Beru leads will cost me £110 plus VAT, but they won't sell me a single one on its own. A set of Vauxhall leads from Caterham costs £116 plus VAT. They do sell single ones when they have them, but only have no.1 and no.4 available (as you would expect!!). Vauxhall themselves will sell me a no. 3 on its own for £42 plus VAT. However, I notice that in the Demon Tweeks catalogue they advertise Lumenition silicon leads for £44 plus VAT for a complete set. Does anyone know if these are any good, as I would prefer to change all the leads at once, and £44 seems more attractive to me than £110?

Thanks

Mike

Is your car still fitted with the standard distributor? If not, you may find the lead length critical as a standard lead may not reach a 'remote' head.

Custom made leads do not come cheap and I would suggest ringing around for the best prices.

The prices charged by some manufacturers are seemingly extortionate!

I went through all this a while back on my Vx XE and eventually obtained some silicone leads from Halfords.....maybe not upto the same standard as Magnecor but I have not experienced any problems since fitting them.

I seem to recall that they are called'Hotwires' and are available in 7 or 8 mm, orange or yellow, and very attractively priced!

You simply select whatever lead-length you require for each plug, as they are sold individually.

Also available from Merlin Motorsport at Castle Combe Circuit.

Pays your money and takes your choice.........

Andrew