Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

quarter mile in R400

Flying kiwi

Some hard facts...figures from Brighton Speed Trials on a gloriously sunny day in Sept. 2003:

My Seven (tweaked 1690cc K @ about same bhp as R400) ran best of 13.10 @ 107mph

Jerry's Superlight R 13.16 @108mph.

Two e46 M3's in Class 3-

14.56 @ 104mph

14.42 @ 109mph

Both the above Sevens are roadgoing and have been driven to Spa and back etc. I've got an M3 and I certainly wouldn't back it to keep up with a 200bhp Seven either in a straight line or round a circuit! Never mind the fact that the brakes last about 3 minutes on track..... It comes into its own for tooling up and down the A3 though *cool*

Horses for courses! 😬

V7 HPD

I have an bog standard R300 and was surprised to get past M3's at first an Oulton Park, and then a Croft trackday. On the straights the acceleration seemed fairly similar, but I pissed all over them on the corners, and on each occasion left them trailing in my wake. *smile*

My 15 year old crossflow 7 is not as quick as you youngsters' R400s (nor am I) but still beat those M3s at Brighton, with a 14.00 and 100mph run.

So, a 15 year old li'l Cortina engined 7 with its 4 speed box and Morris Ital axle can still show a modern big engined M3 the way home...

(Turns off VERY smug grin) 😬 😬 😬

Good job Brighton's been reduced to a quarter mile tho'...

Andy Couchman

Hey! That was my M3 at the Brighton Speed Trials (the quicker one!)

My Fireblade 7 was also there - only 99mph terminal but 13.67 sec time. Thats only with 130bhp (400kg though!). An R400 should have no problem seeing of an E46 M3 over the quarter mile - having said that, above 100mph the Beemer would romp away - power is king at big speeds.

Mark

bit of a hijack but anyone got any ideas what a std 1700 xflow supersprint 1/4 mile time would be

appreciate any answers subjective to exact spec, health of engine, but give or take half a sec ????

Would like to compare against my brothers merc C230K - as we might both be heading to a Pod Run what you brung soon..........

Matt

1700 Supersprint, with extra chilli sauce

I've got a time slip for 14.5s at 89mph (I think) on my original engine which was a class b 1700 Supersprint racer, it was running a big valve head though, I think we saw 144bhp on the old Emerald rolling road!!

The cars a bit quicker now though, I've got datalogged readings for just over 9s 0-100 😬, no idea what sort of 1/4 mile time it'll do.

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

Edited by - rgrigsby on 11 Feb 2004 22:18:49

toys

have you got the 64' time? do you have smg/launch control. i think a young lady was driving one of the M3s

brighton doesn't have anything like the traction of santa pod- spent some time doing the wedge work for sprints there- you might as well be in diving boots *eek*

jerry

There is a big difference between a new M3 and any 7 inspired car, they are normally aspirated and around 350bhp +. They are a very very quick car, I would say between 0 to 60 they are finding there legs, its the 60 + that will get you, in a straight line. Put a few corners in and they will wallow all over the place compared with a seven. But so will most super cars, show them daylight and the story will be different. Moral of the story, race them over a 1/4 mile in a straight line and feel good. Torque is king in the 60+ drag market, 400ft lb @ 4000 rpm shifts some tarmac...