Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

'elmets in 'erts

flaps7

I've just bought an OMP full-face wide aperture jobbie from Demon Tweeks (website - so who cares where they are *smile*). Fair price and turned up next day...

I did go into a local bike shop and try a few on first. Didn't have anything suitable but gave me an idea on what size I'd need.

HTH,

Gareth

Flaps

Have you looked at HJC helmets, normally available from motorcycle outlets. I bought one (ZF7) a couple of years ago for trackdays. It is full face, light, I find it very comfortable & it cost about £110. It is approved to BS6658:1985 Type A & according to the MSA blue book is eligible for all MSA events. I plan to use it for Grads racing this year. It does not have a flame retardant lining. The website is www.hjchelmets.com.

HTH

Mark

PS: No, I don't work for HJC.........

Charlie

No, I don't think so. If you look at the 2004 MSA blue book, section: Q, Topic: 10. Crash helmets. Paragraph: 10.3.1 Standards (page: 244). It lists all the appropriate standards. Helmets to BS6658-85 Type A are suitable for all MSA events. If you want to compete in International events as well as MSA events your helmet needs to comply with: BS6658-85 Type A/FR. I think the different between the two refers to the flame retardant lining (FR).

Incidentally I haven't put this to the test thro' scrutineering, but I intend to try after some more thorough research.

Mark

Charlie

You could be right on the abrasion resistance and chin bars. It may well be that there are other features which are specific to the application (bikes or cars).

I would like to know what tests the helmets are subjected to during the BS6658 testing. It is interesting to note that the same British Standard is used to test both 'types' of helmet. If I had more time I would obtain a copy of BS6658 to find out more about the tests used.

Mark

Charlie/Mark,

Both the Snell and BSI standards are well published on the net. The new european m/c standard seems to be cornering the bike market ,so some deals might be had on old stock at a m/c shop.

The important thing is fit Some people have argued that going for Formula 1 standards ,designed for very high impact, may be poorer in function for our more humble use. The arguements can be seen on various site on the web.