Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Throttle Bodies Fitting, and ECU Mapping.

Red SLR

Well I have made sure my girlfirend wont talk to me for atleast a week. I have ordered the QED kit. Questions.....

Any one got any advice / tips on fitting? (I have got all the bits ie fuel rail, back plate, filter, spacers etc etc)

Any one know where to get the Lumenition ECU mapped in the Lancs / Manchester area.

Any idea on price?

Any one got a car running SS spec 1600cc K with just the ECU and D2HTBs? Can I borrow your map?? Please!

Thanks in advance.

Simon *in the dog house* Scott

X777CAT

Simon, I took Suzi Seven to dinner tonight (OK, it was at the North Kent Meeting place but that was just a co incidence....NOT). Just dropped into the conversation after a nice meal that I had sourced a six speed g/box and we now had added 'six' appeal to look forward to ! Uuuuummmmmmmm. I'll let you figure the rest !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by - chris clark on 18 Apr 2001 00:52:14

Make sure the TBS are matched at the flange face to the profile of your inlet ports, as cast they are fairly small, you may need to open them up a little, you may also want/need to drill the front body to take the water spout that leads to the header tank. The linkage as supplied sometimes needs some judicious bending to allow proper freedom of movement or it can be inclined to catch on the casting. Make sure you mount the throttle pot on the correct TB (the rear one) or it will open the wrong way round.

I have a collection of maps here to suit the K engine in its various guises but only for the Emerald M3DK.

Oily

Isn't the Lumenition one a rebadged Gems?, if so you can adapt the raw map from an Emerald box to the Lumenition box, the igntion values will be the same, but the injector times will need adjusting for the difference in injector period per bit between the two ECUs, this is a straightforward operation, I think the Lumention is 30Mu per bit and the M3D is 61Mu per bit.. obviously you'll need to verify those values, all you then need to do is to take the fuelling values and divide by the M3D rate and multiply by the Lumention rate, a simple Excel macro will do it.

Interpolate these values across the load cells and RPM gradient and this should get you a base map which should be within a spit.

Oily

Depends on where you're starting from Simon. If you've got a map that's fairly close then a couple of hours should do it. If you're starting from scratch then it'll take a fair bit longer than that. Depends on how "quick" the operator is too. Costs per hour vary a lot from one place to the next.

I have a GEMS map for a TB'ed ~200bhp 1.6K - obviously it'll be pretty rich at the mid-top end for a SS but it would be a better starting point than nothing. Question is does the Lumenition software save/load it's map files in the same format as the GEMS software (I mean the software you run on the PC).

I would take great care to find someone with a good recommendation (for mapping) to do the mapping, I've heard of many botch jobs being done by operators who really don't understand what it's about.

Mike

A full day cost me iro 300GBP in London.

It's worth noting that starting from nothing it can take a couple of days to get it running nicely depending on the engine specs, ECU, skill of the operator, time of the month etc etc. (I think I was ultimately billed for 1 day on mine but the map could still do with some smoothing).

Without wishing to dampen enthusiasm for the Lumenition set up, it's for this reason that I'd strongly recommend an ECU with lots of "coverage" unless you have ready (and cheap) access to skilled hands on a particular ECU.

Whilst I have an MBE ECU, the Emerald really does win hands down here (I'd be surprised if someone on the se7ens list doesn't have something close to your set up already working).

So, I'd be inclined to budget anywhere between 200GBP and 500GBP to get the map straight, assuming you don't get a decent base map to start with (with one you may get lucky and be able to halve this).

C7 AJM

A freind reccomended a place, which I visited today. They have had lots of k-series experiance, mainly with MBE , but they have done Lumenition before. Price is right. If any one in the Lancs are is looking for the same service let me know and I will mail you the results.

Simon.

(Just need a map to start with now..... anyone?)

X777CAT