Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Polishing Exhausts

Clay Head

My exhaust is in dire need of a polish and I fear that it will take me most of the summer by hand as I've left it a tad too long since last time (1990 something....). Does anyone have any handy tips for getting that mirror finish as opposed to "base of saucepan finish" in one weekend?

Thought I would bring this back to the top as I have the same problem. Also, does anybody know the best way to clean up the aluminium? There is an awful lot of it in the car, I do not need concourse as the car is only used for racing, and I do not want to have to spend ages and loads of elbow grease doing it.

Richie

I think this thread has already received a number of responses but due to duplication, you may have missed them.

As for the aluminium, I would recommend Belgom 'Alu' polish. Easy to apply and long lasting, actually applying a wax as well as polishing the metal.

After applying it,you can just wash with mild shampoo, rinse and buff up.....seems ideal for use!

If the ally has been left for a while, it may take a bit of work though.

Andrew

Guys,

I gave my exhaust to Mick Atree who did a fantastic job in restoring it to it's former glory. It came back gleaming from the primaries all the way to the end of the silencer - fantastic job, better than when new !!

If you want Mick's details let me know and I'll check with him it's OK to give them out.

email at paul.freeman@codecreation.com

Cheers,

Paul.

As for the exhaust - have you tried to contact a local metal engineering company - these companies usually have metal polishing equipment - I'm sure a "fiver" or "tenner" would more than cover their time - hey presto - 5 mins of a buffer and you have an exhaust so shiny you could shave in it....