Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Bilstein Blues

Slow Hida

Having taken my front suspension apart for powder coating, I've found the rubber bushes on the Bilstein shock absorbers look slightly perished.

The shock aborbers themselves seem fine.

Is it possible to replace the rubber bushes and the metal sleeve in the centre of the rubber bushes.

If so what is the process to remove and install the blighters and where can I get the bits from?

Hilda,

This is a pig of a job and getting hold of the bushes ain't easy cos Caterham don't sell them (or didn't). When you say perished, are they really falling to pieces or does the rubber bush just look a bit distorted with the centre tube being a bit off centre. If this is the case, they are fine - they all do that sir!! If you really want to replace them, give me a call (020 8642 0162) and I'll and talk you through it.

Steve

*arrowright* *arrowright*Harry Flatters *arrowright* *arrowright* *thumbup*

AKA Steve Mell of Su77on Se7ens and Surrey Joint AO

You can certainly buy the little aluminium sleeves as I bought some last week from Caterham.

If you need a new pair of bilsteins, I have a pair that have done less than 10K miles that you can have for £80. They are for a post 96 car (which is why I didn't use them!)

Edited by - ianrm on 9 Feb 2004 09:26:23

Yup, exactly right, I bought some new adjustable AVOs (for less than a pair of ordinary Bilsteins from Caterham) and I needed the sleeves to fit the bolt. Sorry if I didn't make myself clear.

The AVOs are a lovely bit of kit.

Ian

Thanks for the responses.

Harry Flatters was right the rubber inserts looked a lot healthier and lost the distortion after sitting in fresh air in the garage for a few days.

So I'll collect some new aluminum centres from Caterham Midalnds and refit the dampers

I had a lot of fun extracting the bottom bolt on the front dampers!!!

Angus

what I got for mine (94 1.4K SS) is as follows

front:

adjustable dampers part PC565 £60.35 each

250lb 1.9" Springs part A8250 £20.30 each

back

adjustable dampers part PC612 £65.00each

180lb 1.9" Springs part A8250 £24.00 each

all plus VAT

all from

AVO UK Ltd

Caswell Road

Brackmills Ind Est

Northampton

NN4 7PE

01604 708101 T

01604 761030 F

www.avouk.co.uk

I spoke to a very helpful man who was au fait with Caterhams and suggested the above. The cost of the dampers and springs are actually less than the standard Bilsteins from Cateraham.