Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Crankshaft Oil Seal ...

mahatma

... the large one at the rear of the engine on my k-series.

My Rover build manual says to install it with a bead of some Rover sealant (which I don't have) but my Haynes book of lies tells me to use grease on it.

Does anyone which sealant is suitable for this seal (other than the Rover one) ?

Thanks

Andy

My front crank seal went in dry with no sealant/ adhesive. I very lightly sanded the metal surface before I put it in incase there were any irregularities. Stu Forshaw has had to replace these seals a couple of times - give him a ring

• Leadership Team

As Rob says the correct stuff is RTV compouns silicone - the Unipart code is GAC 8000 - and this is the stuff that is stated in the official Rover build manual. DO NOT USE GREASE *eek*

Mav phoned and he knows I have a tube - he can collect it wednesday, otherewise we can sort something in advance?

Stu.

Cheers Stu, I posted this before Mav popped around, which is when he called you.

I'll try and pop into Halfords tomorrow for a tube of RTV stuff ... these sealants get me a little confused when going through the build manual *confused*.

Thanks folks

Andy

(Engine is nearly built *smile*)

Put a 1MM bead of sealant around the recess on the crank seal then gently press into the block . then leave a weight on it for 24 hours before you do any further work .

Are you using the lotus elise service manual ? - this is an excellent detailed procedure's manual on how to build the K , you can then throw the haynes book of lies in the bin *thumbup*

Lotus 7 Club Speed Champion 2003 *eek*

South Wales Area Organiser *smile*

C7 TOP *tongue*