Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Electric Gremilins after wiper motor removal...

robmar

First off big thanks to WiLL FLY (aka Roy Booth , aka Will Spin) for coming to tow me home *thumbup* ☹️ earlier today

Just before xmas I finally removed the wiper motors and left all the wires just hanging in space..., yesterday I drove the car for the first time since then. It started fine and I manged to get about half a mile from home when suddenly the car just died. I pulled in and checked all the usual stuff, a few phone calls later and Roy arrives to tow me home (yes you can tow a caterham with another one *thumbup*)

I can get power intermitentdly by jiggling the wires behind the dash but the vibrations of the car running soon cut the power. I assume it is an earthing problem, I am going to earth the parts of the loom which I think where earthed to the wiper motor unit and see if that helps...

But what I do not understand is why the car started at all with these earth wires not attached to anything in the first place *confused*

Anything else I should check 🤔

rob

Rob,

When you removed the wiper motor there should have been several black earth wires connected into a 8mm lug that was grounded to the chassis with one of the wiper motor clamp fixing bolts. The earths need to be connected or you will get all sorts of trouble. You can ignore the plug that you disconnected from the wiper motor.

Good luck.

Rob - thanks for that - I found 2 wires with 'o' connectors and have now bolted them to the chassis, the car starts and runs fine, thrashing around of the cables under the dash doesn't result in the engine cutting out like it did yesterday *thumbup* Not been out for a drive yet ☹️

I am not an electrics person at all, however i can understadn why not earthing something would result int he engine cutting out, however why did it start and run fine in the first place *confused*

Myles - unfortunatly not, lucking Roy has a 200 bhp DVA jobbie, an dmine is a svelt SL. Not sure what would have happened if it was a 100 bhp xlfow trying to tow a vauxhall....

rob *smile*