Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Air Filters on 40 DCOE's

Simon Horan

A week or so ago I had a friction and location issue with the cover for the air filter (I didn't tighten it up enough, it fell off and I couldnt find it). A fellow Blatter (Luke Beaumont) responded to my plea for a replacement.

I have replaced lost filter. The only issue is that the new (old) filter is 60mm deep whereas the existing one is 80mm deep. It runs fine, in fact with the deeper one at the back and shallower at the front it almost looks designed that way.

Is there anyone out there who knows of any just impediment why these two should not be united from this day forth ?? There is a little need for speed as I want to get Lukes dosh in the post if I am to keep said filter.

THX in advance

Simon

Do you have trumpets underneath the filter(s)?, if you do then you need sufficient clearance between the trumpet end and the filter to allow unimpeded flow into the trumpet, I'd say you need a minimum of 30mm twixt end of trumpet and filter if its a foam filter and 50mm if its a solid backed one.

Oily

Steve's right about the clearance in that 25mm is the absolute minimum allowable, although 30mm is preferable. Vauxhall 16v owners may be surprised to hear this - go on, see how much clearance you have on a standard Caterham setup.

The 80mm filter is the standard depth fitted to a Caterham and ideally, you should change both to this dimension. As you say though, it won't make much difference with your spec of engine.

One tip. If you have the centre screw type end plate, put a small piece of tank tape over the screw. It stops the screw coming undone.

Yep the VXC is about 22mm trumpet to end plate clearance.

I fitted Piper twin filters ages ago for this reason. They have now split (pain to get over the trumpets) and I am back to the

original K&N's until James get some deeper ones in for me....