Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fixing Honeycomb floor inserts

shn7

Dear All,

How should the honeycomb floor on a race (Academy) Seven be secured to the chassis?

Each of the 4 panels has 2 holes (about 1/8") pre-drilled. Should they be bolted or self-tapper'd to the chassis floor. Or some other option.

TIA

Steve.

*rse!

Steve,

The reply page on Blatchat does now appear to be working. Anyway, for everyone else's benefit...

Last year you could only put the honeycomb floor on the driver's side, so unless you know the rules have changed I'd check it out.

I bonded mine in with Derek's magic' silicone. I suspect Sikaflex or similar would do as good a job. The secret is not to use too much as it won't cure if you do.

Cheers, DM.

Steve,

Davebo has forgotten that the new K series academy car needs 4 pieces of honeycomb just for the drivers side - the older vx 8 valve cars needed 2 (I had one of those)

I have a supergrad type car and Derek suggested to me that the panels should be riveted in from underneath - which means it doesn't show at all on top. Easy to do with the car up on axle stands - a real pain later on!

I am not at all sure that it is sufficient to try to bond them in place with the strong silicone sealant Derek uses - after all when you need the protection of the honeycomb it is imperative that it remains in place between the chassis members - it may even hurt you more if it flips up in the footwell. Obviously the ones under the seat will partially be held in place by the seat bolts if you are using the Tillett seat. For neatness and to stop gunge/water etc getting down the gaps I have filled the edges with the silicone sealant.

Hope this helps.

Brian

Brian,

Good points. I never thought of that, but I'm sure the silicone will withstand a good clout. If Derek says rivet then get the old rivet gun out. Might be worth a washer to spread the load if there's enough clearance. Otherwise a good clout will tear the ali anyway. I didn't know the K cars had 4 pieces either. Is that because of cross bracing ?

Cheers, DBo.