Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

New R400 exhaust noise

Miles Taylor

Speak to Caterham, they have a wealth of expierance on getting thrown off trtacks.

If you want to go on the quiet days you might need the big silencer but for most the standard exhaust is fine and you need the cat to get through the SVA anyway.

I got the R500 style larger/quieter 7inch exhaust fitted on my R400. I have never run it with the cat on but don,t think it would make a huge difference. I have had my car noise tested at 4 track days and at 3/4 revs (6000RPM) it shows 100db .............. at 4000 it gives 98db. Think Bedford will throw you out *thumbdown*

R400 .......... I love it

I spoke to Caterham about this some time back and their advice wasn't very useful: "under 105dB".

My R400 with standard exhaust was measured at 102dB at 4000rpm. Bedford are pretty stringent, so I doubt you will pass.

Raceco silencers supposedly make a dramatic difference.

Graham

From experience I can confirm that although you will probably be able to get through the Static at Bedford, you WILL be blackflagged for drive past unless you short shift all day.

I've now got a RaceCo, super bit of kit, but not yet tried at Bedford (will be there on the 28th).

Bob

Blatting around Bucks in an R400 - at least I will be when the weather improves !

I like my exhaust noisy tho!!! *eek*

raceco may b light and shiny ti, but £300 and how much so i can go round almost sounding like a tin top?? *eek*

cant b chopping and changing all the time, so does the raceco actually sound good and not tooooooo quiet, or can someone point me towards somewhere fast and noisy but safe instead of bedford please? close to my field wud be good!!! *biggrin* *thumbup*

So it seems as though the best idea would be to persuade Caterham to put something to get through SVA , then supply the car without an exhaust (delivered by trailer) and minus the cost of exhaust. Then get a raceco exhaust instead.

PS. I know the cat is needed for MOT. I'll worry about that when the time comes.

Milo