Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Autocom fitment

Edward Big Truck

Have just got my kit through and need some advice from any fellow Se7veners *smile* Its going in my Roadsport SV and being hard wired *eek*

Where should the control box go 🤔

Which connection on the fuse box should be used 🤔

Any other comments 🤔

Looking forward to hearing from you and 'er in doors(co-pilot) when were next blatting 😬

The control box needs to go somewhere dry. Some people fit it in the boot and feed the wires through, others fit it under the dash. Some have put it behind the seat but this may not be the driest place unless you always use your hood when it rains.

Have engine and diff.......need car

I`ve seen the future.....and it`s powered by duratec

My control box is velcroed to the rear bulkhead behind the seats & I have aeros only. No problem so far but I don't deliberately drive in the rain. Since the heated screen switch is redundant I wired into this circuit; but if you do this remember to use a 3amp fuse.

Do a search - this was covered not so long ago...

...I put my control box under the drivers seat (secured with my favourite 3M DualLock). This was about as far away as I could get it from the dash using the standard hardwire kit (running the wire under the tunnel cover) - it would have been easy to extend the power lead, but I'm happy with where it is. see note>

This placement also allowed me to run the phone lead up the RHS of the cockpit to the knee-panel area (i.e. the panel just below the light switches) - I bought myself a cheap see-through rubbery plastic cover for my phone (vaguely splashproof) and DualLocked this to the knee panel - so the phone is more or less out of the rain etc., and is more or less visible and within reach.

I needed an extension lead for the drivers intercom so that the lead can go under the seat, up the back and down the LH drivers shoulder harness strap... I don't have passengers, so haven't done anything for them... *biggrin*

- or was it the max length of the lead from the Road Angel... this snakes across the top of my scuttle (along the base of my aeroscreen), down the RH knee panel where it joins up with the run for the phone wire... - again, I could have got a longer audio lead for this, but it's fine as it is...>

Other important note - if you plan to plug a Road Angel into the system - DON'T! Or at least not until you've spoken to Tom - Autocoms MD. The output from the RA is waaaaay to strong - it could drive a speaker let alone a headphone set. Tom invited me around to the factory and made me up a custom interface lead that drops the signal down to acceptable levels - you will also need a Y-interface so that you can run the phone and the RA into the same input (so that the music - if used) is defeated by either the phone or by an RA alert>

Keep BC free and open for ALL. Membership No. 43xx

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

I've fitted mine in the boot, fastened into the 'A' angle in the middle of the rear bulkhead with an aluminium bracket and some heavy duty velcro.

The headphone leads are are just popped under the boot strip, each held in place with a brake pipe clip and hang facing downwards between the seats at shoulder level.

The extension leads for phone and mp3 player are run down the tunnel and appear under the dash for easy access and weathershielding. (velcro holds them to the heater box to stop them roaming around the cockpit.)

I fitted mine in the boot (velcro between the V of the chassis rails) and bought 2 'panel mounted' connecters from autocom which fitted in the rear bulkhead above the transmission tunnel. All you then do is plug your headset into the socket which is pretty much hidden by the carpet when there's nothing connected.

For the phone / cd player connections, I drilled a hole behind the drives seat so that when not in use the cables are out of sight.

The name's Puff, Powder Puff

N7XTC

Can I ask - when your phone is hooked up to the Autocom and it rings does the ring signal come through as audible on the headphones or do you rely on the phone light flashing to realise it is ringing?

When my phone (Samsung) rings I cant hear it, but I can see it!

Honk if you love peace and quiet.

See the Purple Beast at Seven-Ecstasy.co.uk

mode>

Ahem... Search me squire! No one has called me when I'm in my 7 - and I've not made any outward calls - not even to test it *eek*

😳 mode>

But I would have thought it would have something to do with whether you have it set for auto answer or not...

I really ought to test this aspect...

Bongo, you might find that you are unable to set you phone to auto answer if you attempt to programme it whilst disconnect from the Autocom system.

If this is the case, just plug the lead into your mobile and the service becomes available to programme.

JH

Deliveries by Saffron, *thumbup* the yellow 222bhp Sausage delivery machine

Powder Puff

Are your panel mounted sockets permanently attached to the autocom, ie did you replace the standard connectors or are the panel mounted sockets double sided ie you plug the lead from the autocom unit into one side and the lead from the headset into the other side IYSWIM

Have engine and diff.......need car

I`ve seen the future.....and it`s powered by duratec

OK. So how have you routed the cables so that they don't interfere with the gearstick etc. - under the tunnel cover??? From memory, I wouldn't have thought the standard cables would be long enough without an extension...

Mounted mine in the boot today up high on the left side using dual lock and velcro buttons for the cables. All cables are inconspicuois(sp?) and tucked up the passenger side of the tunnel cover. Linked to the road angel, the music source, and the mobile. Headset links sit where the seat meets the central tunnel.

One question - there appear to only be two volume positions - medium, and deafening if using the booster jack plug. Expect the only way to adjust volume is to pack foam in the headsets?

Also, if everything is disconnected from the unit and the battery is left connected am I correct in assuming there will be no drain to the battery and it will last a few months? Has anyone any feedback on expected 9v battery life with the unit? Bit of a hassle to disconnect the battery after use as it is in the boot.

In relation to the fuse box cover you can see the velcro fixing strips where it fits here : http://www.seven-ecstasy.co.uk/html/lighter.html but I would suggest that the cover is not really secure enough to handle the weight of the Autocom unit.

Damn good kit though. *thumbup* 😬

Managed a very neat fit by attaching the main unit under the dash on the heater bulkhead. Used supa dupa velcro which is thick enough, I hope, to give it a bit of vibration and thermal insulation from the bulhead itself.

The headset wires then dive very tidily behind the handbrake (correctly and traditionally positioned of course 😬) under the transmission tunnel carpet, emerging to the side of passenger seat. I have a small poly bag held with an elastic band covering them just in case of rain (i.e. as in today !!).

The headsets can be attached with harnesses on, and the VOX can be fiddled with in the seat (with slackened shoulder staps)

Bongo. The volume control seems to be: volume plug out headsets on; volume plug in, headsets on with goggles, hence headsets not in place properly....therefore with ear plugs under headsets. *eek*. See post in ChitChat about goggle problem.

Great fun using the telephone connector and 'phoning people "I'm on the trai...no..caterham" and since I have connected to my ICE system 😬, am looking forward to blatting tomorrow listening to the Archers Omnibus.

My new Caterham owner's site

Edited to remove typing errors (am used to a laptop keyboard)

Edited by - Pelico on 7 Feb 2004 21:24:39

Erm - if you are battery powering only, the unit is only switched on when the drivers headset is connected - so as long as this is unplugged when you leave the car, the battery should last for ages (noting that the hardwire kit costs only a coupla quid... less than a std. 9V battery or two...)

The plug thingy for the volume only affects the voice channel IIRC - it does not (unfortunately) boost any of the other inputs -otherwise I'd be laughing now that I routinely use earplugs inside my helmet... *mad*

Bongo - be bloody careful about the RA... unless you've purchased a productionised version of the prototype adapter that the MD made for me, you risk serious hearing damage (my left ear no longer responds to the RA frequencies... *mad*) I'm not bl**dy joking unfortunately

Edited by - Myles on 7 Feb 2004 22:27:43

OK, I’m trying to understand the Autocom setup but the ‘manual’ isn’t too great!

Any help or comments with the following would be gratefully received:

1. Is the difference between ‘Music Input’ and ‘Aux 2’ that any signals fed into Aux 2 will cause the music signal to ‘mute’?

2. If so, and you want to connect a Mobile telephone, Road Angel, and Music, you would need to connect the Mobile and Road Angel via a Y adaptor to the Aux 2 input, leaving the music on its own dedicated input. This means the Mobile and RA will mute the Music. Has anyone done this either with a simple Y adapter or have you used the Autocom part 58 mixing lead with audio isolation.

3. Myles, I gather from your comments that you found an attenuation resistor is needed for the Road Angel. Do you have it connected as above? Is the resistor just in series with the signal or is it wired with another as a potential divider?

4. Anyone know the connections needed to add PMR radio communication as well?

I’m assuming the radio connects to the short Grey 5-pin DIN from the PRO.

Autocom have a PTT switch designed to mount on a bike handlebar, that has a 3-way toggle and a push button. The 3 positions are 1 – VOX on Pro opens the radio transmitter; 2 – VOX on Pro only operates between driver and passenger; 3 – Press to talk for radio (but I think VOX remains operational between driver and passenger?).

However the 5 pin din socket only has 9v, 0v, Mic, Speaker and PTT connections – anyone know what the PTT connection is (i.e. what is the PTT switch contact arrangement and how are they wired to the DIN?

I’m going to have to speak to Autocom on Monday anyway (anyone know a good technical person there?) but if I can unravel some of the above first it will help *wink*

Ian - MI 5EVN - Slightly Vider 😬 (and not very well at all ☹️, but getting better *smile*)

Edited by - Ian B on 8 Feb 2004 21:18:01

Myles - my road angel y connector part looks like a home made job by the MD as well. Have not tested it yet but will keep the headphones away from ears until I do.

Ian B - you need a special y-part - the other connector will not do. Speak direct to Autocom. I have connected as you suggest and it seems to work - just need to fix the phone to autoanswer. *mad* Sorry I cant be much more help.

I tested the Snooper S4 with the 'Road Angel' kit, and it worked fine, although the S4 has a volume control.

Make sure you take out the chopped off jack plug before you try as mine came inserted in unit on delivery, that nearly did my ears in.

g

Superlight R #41

Powder Puff,

I have just been speaking to Autocom re the ' panel connectors' and they don't seem to have any idea what these parts may have been.

You don't happen to have the part number handy or perhaps your real name. They said if they can trace your order (and the approx date)they may be able to help me. They are struggling to find an order under Powder Puff.

Many thanks if you can assist,

Dave.

Who needs a Helmet - Get an Affro !

Clickhere to see Car and AFFRO !

Member 6790

Superlight 0075 - K7 LYT