Click here if you are having website access problems ×

VX Ecotec

ECR

I thought that XEs continued after 1993? Mine is a "late" engine (with stepped flywheel and no dizzy) and has a C20XE number stamped on it. My Haynes engine management book lists mine as "Calibra C20XE 1993-1996".

PS car was ex factory 1995.

Edited by - Steve Kirk on 5 Feb 2004 17:23:16

Can anyone confirm the existence of a LN (for low noise) engine then ?

Or is an LN a post 93 XE engine fitted with the plastic cam belt pullies and a different belt path to the "early" XE's ?

*confused*

Edited by - ECR on 6 Feb 2004 15:32:44

I have a 97 car fitted with a late post 93 non dizzy C20XE, and its has a different belt route, porfile and plastic belt idle pullies to early C20XE engines, but the cam pullies are metal not plastic, as is then tensioner.

Chris....

H15 SVN Get it !

Post 93 engines have a different belt tooth profile, different idlers and different belt path. I suspect you're right in that this is what you are calling the low noise spec.

Be careful with plastic or metal idlers, SBD do a kit to mod the plastic idlers to metal following the Watchdog high mileage idler failure expose. So you may have either spec and have metal idlers.

To be honest there's a lot more than two specs of idlers, particularly when you take the cam belt cover back plate off and start messing with the tensioner options.

Paul

I am in the process of upgrading a friends HPC and was mildly suprised when I found the belt arrangement and pulleys were different to my (early) XE.Of course I knew of the existence of the "plastic pullied engine" but this is the first one I have worked on. I am just trying to find out the exact description of the engine that I am working on and to identify any issues that need watching out for !

*smile*

I´m running a pre93 XE but with different cam-arrangement, using the post 93 pullies. The engine builder recommends to replace the plastic pullies once a year as they´re prone to fail on tuned engines.

Spiess uses them on the F3 engines and have no problems with them but I´m sure they do replace them at least once a year after an engine rebuild.

Marius

ECR the LN is still an XE - at least that is whate is stamped on my block which was a 94/95 Injection with the LN engine. The LN as in "Low Noise" differed in only a few ways from the earlier XE's. The cam belt tooth profile and pulley arrangement was changed along with a sodding great flywheel (known as a pie-dish or pot type) all in the name of smoothness and quietness. The head was cast by GM rather than Cosworth but I don't know whether there were also later non-LN XE's with GM cast heads.

*arrowright* *arrowright*Harry Flatters *arrowright* *arrowright* *thumbup*

AKA Steve Mell of Su77on Se7ens and Surrey Joint AO