Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Type 9 Failure

Graham Perry

I have just had my Type 9 5 speed gearbox fail in a big way on my cross-flow. It would appear that the layshaft retaining flange at the front of the box has worked its way loose and probably caused terminal damage to casing and gears. When installing the box I double checked that the flange retaining bolts were torqued up and I know they were assembled with threadlock. I can't recall this being a known weakpoint on this box, have I just been unlucky or is it a known problem that I was unaware of ?

Have you got the box out and looked at it?

Did the bolts work loose or did it let go?

On big power inputs the shaft you describe can be forced out through the bottom of the box. You can even get toughened steel face plates that craddle the plate with the 3 bolts and use the 4 bellhousing bolts as anchors.

This should not be an issue with an XF though.

On higher power inputs a full length shaft is also a good idea as opposed to the standard short one that acts in shear.

The bolts have come slightly loose and then worn the case away. Its amazing how much case was worn away before we had any indication a failure was about to occur. I didn't know about the extended shaft but will investigate that option. Its down with Phil Stewart being looked at while we speak, and I am awaiting an opinion on if it can be salvagable. I suppose it could be worse, it could have failed during a sprint and locked the wheels with less than happy consequences.