Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K series liner glaze busting

prs

OK so I've stripped my 1.6 and removed all pistons and liners etc. I've measured everything with a dial caliper and nothing is worn. However the liners are obviously glazed, original honing marks are still visible (engine done 12000mls).

My intention is to re-use the pistons and liners and therefore I wish to glaze bust the liners before putting them back in. I've got a glaze buster but have not done this process before and would welcome any advice, is it best to lubricate with something like WD40 etc. On reassembly I was going to use Blue Hylomar for the liner sealant.

The plan is to re-build with HD Bearings, fully ported head with standard valves skimmed 20thou, QED375H cams, DTH TB's, Powerspeed 4.2.1 and programmable ECU. I'm hoping to achieve 170BHP will let you know when it's all complete.

Phil S7 SVN

• Leadership Team

Phil,

It's a 2 man job doing the liners. Whilst somebody holds it securely, spray the inside with WD40, then with the "stone brush" in the drill, move it in and out of the liner probably 20 times (spinning of course!) in reasonably rapid succesion. This should break the surface glazing. Watch out becayse the liner gets warm *eek*

Stu.

Thanks all, Oily I have actually got to types. One is the 3 legged version which I felt was going to be to aggressive. The other one I've got is from a friend at the local garage, it consists of a central stem and then dozens of small balls at the end of wires coming from this stem. This seems more user friendly is this the type your referring to when you say a flex honer?

They've had it for years and swear by it!

Will be in touch soon Dave to place order for parts etc

Phil S7 SVN

45 degree cross hatched Oily?

That's interesting, ISTR it always used to be about 30 degrees off horizontal in each case so the resulting angle between the hones (the cross hatching) was about 120 degrees. Has that thinking moved on a bit?

ISTR that it was all based on ring sealing and oil retention theory at the time, but oil and material technology moves on.