Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Oil leak has caused engine not to idle

julians

I've recently had the oil pump off my zetec, and when I put it back on I didnt replace the gasket or the crank shaft oil seal ( I know it would have been less hassle in the long run, but I'm lazy), which lead to a fairly large oil leak. The oil has leaked out of the crank shaft and been picked up by the cam belt and thrown all over the engine.

Now I'm going to get hold of all the new seals and a cam belt and refit them next weekend, which shouldnt be a problem, however I have driven about 200 miles with this oil leak, which at the beginning wasnt too bad, but got worse as time went on. When I started out the engine would run fine (idle fine etc), but when I finished the engine wouldnt idle at all, it would run fine if you held it above idle, but would die if you tried to let it idle. Throughout this trip oil pressure remained fine, so the leak didnt appear to be affecting pressure.

I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas as to what might have been affected by this leak, like I said earlier there is oil all over the engine, particulary over the throttle bodies and aorund the inlet side of things, I'm presuming that some has found its way into the inlet and it generally causing this bad idle, and that when I have refitted the seals and stopped the leak, it should clear itself up after a run to burn off the accumulated oil. But I thought I'd see if anyone has any other ideas.

Ta

Julian