Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

BJ Minno Jerry can holder and tyre rack

Neil F

I made my own jerry can holders which I think are a better design and suit a Caterham setup on the Minno better.

I had two galvanised metal boxes made up which are bolted to either side of the trailer ahead of the front wheels. This gives me space for four jerry cans or I can leave out cans and use the space instead for other gear. I already had the strap box on the leading part of the trailer and this retains that and doesn't get in the way of the winch either. I have the tyre rack so weight balance is fine. Even before I had the boxes in place, the chocks were set as they still are with the car shy of the front edge of the trailer by enough to fit storage.

There's a picture on my site which sort of shows how the setup is, contact me if you want to know the details of what I had made - cost is much less than BJ and the fitting uses existing holes and is simple, four bolts on each side.

shrewdcookie - my Caterham site - UPDATED !

Thanks Count.

Do you have any photo's? I can't quite picture it, are your can holders configured for "2 in line" bolted to the outside of the chassis (you say ahead of the front wheels) or inboard on the trailer bed in a "2 side by side" square box?

I don't have any chocks on my trailer but I can no doub't make some.

Incidentally, I don't know where the BJ version of the jerry can box is located, I guess on the front platform?

Neil.

Better to burn away and fade out, than to burn out and fade away....

check here on my site. The boxes are designed to be higher than a jerry can so you have storage above the cans as well. The two boxes bolt to the floor of the trailer on each side. They have a lip over lid that's hinged along one side and locks as well for security. Internally, the boxes have two edges at the halfway point on opposite sides that stick out enough to hold the boxes separate or hold one can in place without meaning the whole box is split in two internally if you just want storage.

Hmm. That looks like a neat solution. Did it take long/cost much to get them made up?

I don't know if my winch is in a different place to yours but it looks like it might be a problem passing alongside the L/H box (mine is mounted on the front plate on the left).

Better to burn away and fade out, than to burn out and fade away....

I drew up the plans on paper and gave them to a fabricator I found locally who was happy to do these as an odd job. Cost was about £80 per box and they had them back with a couple of weeks as it was not a rush job.

My winch runs centrally, it's bolted to the front section of the frame behind the hitch so it's not a problem.

I'll have a dig about and post them on my site, they are not especially technical, just exact measurements to make sure the size, hinges, dividers etc are correct.

The actual boxes I have had some slight design changes the fabricator made which improved on my design and made more sense from an engineering and longevity point of view.

I can post some piccies as well - you could just show these to someone with some sense and they's easily replicate the design.

Hi Guys, I have been watching this thread with great interest.

I recently bought a 2nd Hand Minno and would like some storage boxes. I have the folding rather than A frame hitch so can not taxkle the normal BJ boxes. I had been trying to work out whether I could put boxes on the front of the trailer and had some concerns but I then I saw this thread.

Count I am impressed with your boxes so would be very keen to see your more details pictures & design when you have time to post them.

• 3 weeks later...