Click here if you are having website access problems ×

VVC oil surge

James King

I've been thinking about buying a vvc that is for sale locally.

I am worried after reading pvevious posts that say that for one reason or another the vvc can't be dry sumped. Also, that the anti-cavitation tank helps, but won't prevent oil surge on track days.

I was only planning a few track days per year to start with, but even so i don't want to knacker it!!

Should i ditch the vvc idea and go for the standard 1.8 or is the problem not that serious??

oh1 and its also got a 6 speeder. Has anyone got any experience of vvc's with the 6 speed box?

Hi James

I raised the original question, as I'd had a few ocassions where the oil pressure (on the gauge at least) fell suddenly. However, keeping the oil topped up seems to solve the problem most of the time - although I've yet to do any track days.

Although I've not had much experience of driving other Catherhams, I've found the VVC to be great fun to drive - plenty of torque, good acceleration etc. Like all things, tho', once you've had them a while you start to think about ways of improving/changing them - e.g. the anti-cavitaton tank, switching from the original Michelins etc.

Although my VVC has the standard 5 speed box, I suspect the 6 speeder adds to the fun factor.

Maybe someone who has driven a VVC and other versions can give you more feedback?

Nick

The issue of oil pressure in K-series engines came up recently on the se7ens list. It seems that all K-series heads have a propensity to retain oil with the result that there's less of it in the sump, hence the resulting surge and reduction in oil pressure.

I believe there is a relatively simple mod that can be done to help eradicate this tendency. There's probably more info on Dave Andrew's web-site (there should be a link from Alex's links page - can't remember the URL right now).

James,

I've got a 6 speed VVC which has been fitted with an anti-cav tank. I drove a couple of 5 speeders and there was nothing wrong with them. The 6 speed is great though. As for oil surging, it's just not a problem on the roads, but I've not been on a track (yet). As a road car, the VVC is great, but I'll bow to the experts when it comes to track use and upgrading. If you find a nice one, take it out for a blast and see what you think. They are all brilliant.

Tarek

James,

I've got a 6 speed VVC which has been fitted with an anti-cav tank. I drove a couple of 5 speeders and there was nothing wrong with them. The 6 speed is great though. As for oil surging, it's just not a problem on the roads, but I've not been on a track (yet). As a road car, the VVC is great, but I'll bow to the experts when it comes to track use and upgrading. If you find a nice one, take it out for a blast and see what you think. They are all brilliant.

Tarek

Tarec

i test drove it today!!

All I can say is ear to ear grins all day long and about an hour to stop my knees knocking and my heart pounding...There are people who compare driving a seven to having sex! I think I know why. I didn't even dare push it to within half of its limits. It was still ten times more exciting than my scooby. The dealer let me out on my own which was nice. At caterham you're lucky to get your hands on the wheel... I've been fairly delirious since and at some point paid the deposit. So I should have it for Stonleigh. Havn't told the g/f yet so wish me luck tomorrow! I'm sure she will be cool about it.

The tvr dealer is going to get it serviced at caterham and also give me a full years warranty before i pick it up... thought that was pretty decent.

Not too worried re the oil pressure probs, got a lot of driving to do before i get that far. I would still like to hear from anyone who has stories about their VVC's, good stuff only please...

Tarec

i test drove it today!!

All I can say is ear to ear grins all day long and about an hour to stop my knees knocking and my heart pounding...There are people who compare driving a seven to having sex! I think I know why. I didn't even dare push it to within half of its limits. It was still ten times more exciting than my scooby. The dealer let me out on my own which was nice. At caterham you're lucky to get your hands on the wheel... I've been fairly delirious since and at some point paid the deposit. So I should have it for Stonleigh. Havn't told the g/f yet so wish me luck tomorrow! I'm sure she will be cool about it.

The tvr dealer is going to get it serviced at caterham and also give me a full years warranty before i pick it up... thought that was pretty decent.

Not too worried re the oil pressure probs, got a lot of driving to do before i get that far. I would still like to hear from anyone who has stories about their VVC's, good stuff only please...

James

I had a VVC for a few years and thought it was excellent. Very easy to drive around town and a real hoot on the open road. I did find that it was vital to keep the oil level slightly above the "max" mark to avoid problems, as recommended by James Whiting. Great car.

Mick

Mick Walker

I had a VVC with a 6 speed box, and I was very pleased with it. I did a number of trackdays (more than 10) and I can only agree with everyone else. Oil, Oil, Oil. I had no engine problems that I was aware of.

My car was a great car and a very good allrounder. I have said in previous threads that the dry sump issue was something that niggled me, however if you are only going to do a few trackdays, have an anti cav tank fitted, and you keep away from the extra grippy tyres, (ACB10's etc) then oil surge shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Andy