Click here if you are having website access problems ×

pug steery wheel straightness

Badger Bill

OK, I didn't want to post this on the ol' tech talk 'cause it is a long way from being cat related. However, I have just become the proud owner of a pug 405, the only problem with which is the wheel is about three inches off center *confused*

It drives straight (with the wheel wonkey) and brakes straight too.

What could be wrong, any ideas?

Cheers

BB

Could be that the steering wheel was taken off for some reason and then replaced when the road wheels were not quit straight ahead. Or the tracking could have been adjusted slightly more on one side than the other. This would mean the toe in/out could be correct but the lock would be slightly more on one side than the other. 3" is not a great deal on a car that probably has a lock to lock of more than 3 turns

Thanks for the reassuring reply, I thought that it could be something like the tracking... The wheel hasn't been taken off, as the indicators cancel relative to the wheel, not the corner that you have just turned (if that makes sense) *confused*

I reckon that I shall take it to a garage and see if they can track the wheels straight with the steering wheel pointing straight, rather than relative to each other.

Cheers

BB

When I was in Dubai, a numpty drove into my Jeep Cherokee in a nice, big corner-corner head on stylee (prat - British BTW - admitted responsibility etc. etc.)

Anyway, the impact damaged the steering and front-left suspension - but I did recover the car to my flat reasonably safely. The steering wheel was about 30-40 degrees off center...

...after a month or so of repairs (sooo slooow), they brought it back to me - and the steering wheel was still pointing off center - so I sent it back again...

...eventually, they returned it with the wheel pointing in the right direction - but the car behaved oddly and pulled to one side under even moderate braking...

...back it went... ...the non-franchised garage had done a cheap job and not replaced the steering arm or something *mad*

So I would be suspicious....

Keep BC free and open for ALL. Membership No. 43xx

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻