Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Luke Harness in new cars – free right for left exchange

ianrm

Right, I've just tried to do this and failed miserably - because Luke have obviously changed the design. Photos attached:

Rear view

Front view

Rear removed

As you can see, there is no access to the internals from the front. Removal of the rear cover doesn't seem to get me much further, though this is obviously the way it will dismantle. I think I need to compress the central shaft and push the pin out sideways (you can make out the pin in the photo). Unfortunately I've no idea how I'm going to do this and whether I can then get it back together again!

Seriously thinking about sending it off to Luke 🙆🏻

Dave

• Leadership Team

Dave, I need to go from memory because it's some time since I changed mine, but Im sure the pegs just lift out 🤔 How have you managed to remove the fixed strap without getting into the position wher you can swap the straight (fixed) peg with the sloping (moving) peg? I do recall 2 small screws inside mine, but can't be totally sure *confused*

Stu.

Dobuy, and anyone else with the new style Luke 4 point harnesses

I rang Luke this morning to confirm that they would swop a left for right fitting for free, to be told there would be a charge of £31 + Vat plus return insured postage. So this was heading for £50 and the Scottish half of me took over - so the toolbox came out again.

The process for swapping left to right on the new style harness is as follows:

1) Carefully peel off the Luke sticker from the front of the clasp

2) Remove the large pozidrive screw and remove the "release" plate

3) Turn clasp over and remove the 5 small pozidrive screws from the back plate - try not to chew them up as they will rest against you when the harness is worn.

4) Remove the back plate.

5) With a small flat blade screwdriver prise off the guide plate - there are no springs involved at this stage! - pic here and with plate removed here

6) Support clasp so you can compress the outer part of the centre section (see pic here). I used a slightly opened vice as the support and a pair of mole grips locked at the correct distance to push down. With the centre compressed, the cross pin will slide out easily.

7) Gently release pressure to release the spring tension. The spring plate together with the seatbelt pins can now be lifted out. (See pic of sprung plate and pic of all parts laid out)

8) The two side belt pins can then be swapped.

9) Reassemble in reverse order. Note that the fixed belt must be inserted into the clasp before the 5 rear pozidrive screws are fastened. The reason for this can be seen in the pic of the parts laid out - the housing appears to be specific to which belt is to be the fixed belt - the spring seat for this position does not have a raised surround. However this is a minor inconvenience.

The whole process took me only about 30 minutes, and that included working out how to do it - so it's not difficult. As noted earlier in this thread though, seatbelts are a safety item and Luke (apparently) take a dim view of customers dismantling the clasps.

Dave

Edited by - Dave McCulloch on 2 Feb 2004 19:30:29

• 1 month later...

*biggrin* *biggrin* *biggrin*

Thanks for the detailed info, I've been meaning to do this since I built the car but never got round to it. Mine was the 'new type' and yes it was really easy to do, I didn't need to remove the straps from the car - just used a tiny drill bit to push the pin back and release the fixed strap. All done and looks as good as new. *thumbup* *thumbup*

Roadsport build photo's here