Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

K Series Oil choice

johns

Just phoned the garage you will be servicing my 7 on Thursday.

They use Castrol RS oil as standard on 7's.

Is that ok for my 1998 K Series Supersport engine (6000 miles) or must I insist on Mobil 1 or CC's Comma alternative 🤔

An replies before Thursday greatly appreciated.

Lots of love

John S (aka Klein)

Yes - quite a few people (inc. me) use Halfrauds fully synth - there was a debate recently about it being a slightly different colour to the Comma stuff - but otherwise, the consensus does still seem to be that (take your pick) it *is* technically the same, or it's really close enough, or it meets the tech spec anyway...

I tend to pick up loads whenever there is an offer on - and perform conservative oil changes as a result (even though I'm running a boggo 1.6 k-series 115bhp engine).

Unfortunately, I'm pretty damned sure that the HF 'half price' offer of 15 quid ran out recently (4th Jan rings a bell)... ..but they quite often have a buy-one-second-is-half-price offer...

Keep BC free and open for ALL. Membership No. 43xx

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

John, for your normal use, try Halfraud own or Mobil 0/40. After all you are only talking about daily Winter driving, no the Rink!

More to the point try a search on Blat Chat... its has all been said before

JH

Deliveries by Saffron, *thumbup* the yellow 222bhp Sausage delivery machine

Halfords oil is made by Comma but it is not Syner G or Syner Z in a different pack they are different oils (they have different additives).

Mobil 1 normal is OK Syner Z is good and the Caterham branded stuff is very good and made specialyl for them. If you are doing track days then the high end protection could prove very useful. Don't use Mobil 1 Motorsport as the bottom number is too high and could cause trouble on cold starts with a K-Series.

At the end of the day I put the Caterham oil in as it is designed for the engine!