Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Sprinting Regs

Delberts Wallet

Just my opinion,

When you compete in any motorsport or any other sport your aim is to be the best competitor/equipment combination in your class. The whole point of class division is that more emphasis is on the driver and the advantage gained on the use of better parts is controlled.

If it is found that a cirtain part on a class winning car in 2004 gives a significant advantage then it should be banned in 2005. This could extend to Tyres as Dave suggested.

Rob (can't make 28th Feb, Keep class 1 the same

*thumbup*)

Ford: Engineered for life - built to rust!!

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please - I'm not talking about "banning" certain tyres , but seperating out certain tyres to another class so that a tyre which is of no use for any other purpose is not a "must have" for L7 sprints .

I'm putting the plenum on my new head tonite - so class 3 will be fun *eek* 😬 *thumbup*

Goodnite .......

Dave

Lotus 7 Club Speed Champion 2003 *eek*

South Wales Area Organiser *smile*

C7 TOP *tongue*

Kipper Jnr - the only channge to class1 will be to allow the bike engined cars into it 😬

also I think it is not the upgrades thtat should get moved up a class more like certain drivers 😬 😬

Dave - happy to see you in class3 maybe you can give Dave McFarlane some company up front 😬

rob *smile*

and picking up Daves point of agenda items I think the 2 threads for discussion are

1. what modifcations are allowed for currernt k's in classes 2 & 3 before they get bumped up a class 🤔

and

2. should avon acb10's in a24 compound have to sit in their own class 🤔

just to keep the debate about #2 going what about SS compound yoko 32's 😬

rob *confused*

Have only just caught up with this thread (the joys of a screaming baby as a distraction 😬 ).

As someone who competed in a 1.6 k on CR500's in my first year I am in the weird position of being in an old x-flow currently on 1a tyres for 2004.

If I get the cash together it goes onto ACB10's (assuming that remains class 3) and we'll see what happens. For me no matter what power and mods you have you will always find someone who you are competitive with in your class (unless you're Dave McFarlane of course!) and that is where the fun is to be had.

If I now drop out of contention against BB, Rob etc because of the change of car I'm sure there will be battles with someone else. To me the results were close enough last year to show that the format worked, and for class 3 you can certainly be up there in a standard car, even if you only ever get as far as fourth in my case *mad*

Not sure if this has been pointed out, (kerching 2p)

But to run in any of the classes, up to class 5, then you need to be in road legal trim, therefore, all cars produced after a certain date HAVE to have a Catalyctic Converter fitted. This could have been contested at any event last year, as many cars produced in the last 2 years at least have been running with no cat.

I'm now going back to the sheds to hide

😬

MAV - somewhere in this thread I think we all agreed to 'ignore' the cat issue *wink*, so you can put it back in your large SV size bag 😬

assume you ran with yours all last 2 years as well 😬

anyway to be pedantic, I thought the rules where around 'emesions' and cats are only used to enable engines to match the appropriate emissions levels...so unless we are going to have emesiions testing at every event I wouldn't know if you could enforce it anyway *confused* also I was also under the impression that with fine tuning you could get through MOT emissions without a cat , although I know of no one who has done this *confused*

rob *thumbup*

Rob - If the regs change then fair enough, but road legal means that for our cars, all since Aug 98? need a cat fitted for MOT AND SVA!!!!

I have been running with mine and will continue to have a cat fitted to any system i have fitted to the car.

Mav,

I agree on the cat issue - this constitutes road legal on many cars. Many cars are, strictly speaking, not road legal.

As for SVA - are you going to go around glueing caps on bolts etc as for the sva. Under-dash trims at the ready! 😬

Ian

Green and Silver Roadsport 😬

There is no requirement for cars to be fitted with catalytic converters.

Cars are however subject to emissions level monotoring at SVA and MOT.

At present a car with no cat has to comply with no cat levels but if a cat is present then it must comply to cat fitted levels. clear??? I think not *smile*

New cars don't need an MOT of course and the removal of the cat is an offence....I think therfore I agreee with Mav that all new cars should run with the SVA emissions setup.

Perhaps this should be written into the supplementary regs with a reasonable margin of say September 2001 onward ie 51 reg on.

Lawrence

Road going vehicles could be subject to Ministry of Transport vehicle inspection at any time at a spot check. The police generally flag 'em down and the MoT inspectors do the checks. (Tends to be looking for non-duty paid diesel, overloading vehicles with booze at ports etc. admittedly)

Technically, if a car cannot meet the numbers for CO, NOx and hydrocarbons at a roadside check, and they are sometimes carried out, it is not in a roadworthy condition - no matter how shiny.

If it can make the numbers without the catalyst however, no one can argue. Unlikely though if some struggle with them fitted.

Did I tell you I'm from the Vehicle Inspectorate..........................(Joke 😬)

Ian

Green and Silver Roadsport 😬

Why are 'we' getting hung-up about cats. They are not performance reducing per se. Just expensive to incorporate in a non-standard system.

Those that want ultra-tight policing of regs, and all cars the same should look at a series that offers that; what next, sealed engines? One of the virtues of the L7C series is the diversity that enables many interpretations on the theme to compete side by side.

Most people know what class they should be in by the broad spec of their car and its likely performance. Last year I had a std 120bhp 1.8K running in class 4. I and many others with similar cars had a genuine concern that 1.6K cars in class 2 had no real power disadvantage. However, you'd need much more than power to get near Powder Puff in his standard 1.6Kss at Curboro'. I beleive examples such as this render any catalyst discussion irrelevant.

just my 2p

Tom