Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wheel brushing wh/arch

Psycho man

How I hate pot holes. Particually on left hand side corners. I find that my front right wheel rubs against the clam shell mud guard. Horrible fiber glass grinding sounds occur resulting in holding ones head in shame.

Why doies this happen and got any permanent cures.

TIA

A couple of permanent cures....

1. bend the wing stay upward to give more space before the crunch

2. stiffer springs so that you have to try harder before you get the crunch

3. adjustable height dampers to give more ground clearance and hence more space before the crunch.

I went for a combination of 2 & 3 and rased the car 0.5" on stiffer springs and now have no problems with potholes mid-corner or speed humps....

This happened on mine as well, a common problem unfortunately. A temporary cure, suggested by Caterham, was to slightly bend the front wing stays upwards to clear the tyre but the permanent cure was lower profile tyres coupled with adjustable spring platforms.

To be fair though that wasn't the reason I changed these items but the increased wing clearance was just a spin-off benefit.

I've had similar, but the wheel was rubbing on the return front edge of the clamshell wing. I gently filed away a bit of a groove in the return edge; also packed up the wing on top of the stay and also pushed the wing stays in a bit further towards the body. Worked most of the time. Then for other reasons I went to stiffer springs and adjustable platform dampers.