Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Half Doors

Silver 21

Might have to review this one chaps in the face of heavy demand and changing circumstances. It turns out Kylie's in the garage just now fitting the aero to the R500 and fancies what she calls a "blat", whatever that is. Apparently she then plans to help me in the shower, funny, I normally do OK on my own there, then she's buying dinner in town. That at least will be nice.

She says she doesn't want to be out too late because she wants to get me into bed nice and early. I don't know why, I know I've got work in the morning but usually around midnight is OK and I can't see dinner taking too long.

I'll let you know tomorrow which of the bits are still available. I'm surprised I've got no interest in the CF Tilletts and tonneau to fit, but it's early days.

Oh, just heard from Kylie, she says she has found an engine at the back of the garage. It's in a packing case with Dura-something on it, and a sort of graph printout with a certificate saying "230 somethings at 7000 something else". I don't know if this is of interest but it's in the way, does anyone want it in exchange for, say, mine and Kylie's dinner bill tonight?

Usual address,

Cheers. Battered.

Whilst I appreciate the humour and the fact this keeps putting the thread to the top, can you stop Hi Jacking my thread unless you have a pair of Half Doors for Sale,

This is what p****s me off about Blatchat, a serious request and all I get is a bunch of Jokers *mad*

Which is here to save you digging in the bathroom reading matter...

Personally, I prefer the CC jobs rather than the 'fabric' type in the picture...

...but then I've got some *biggrin*

If those ones are 60 quid, it'd be worth buying them IMHO and keeping an eye out for the rocking-horse sh*t variety. They'll do a perfectly reasonable job and you'd be able to sell them on without losing significant money....

...AND - they'd have the advantage that a tonneau should stretch over them OK - my tonneau doesn't reach the poppers on my genuine CC jobs - partly due to the bulge...

Keep BC free and open for ALL. Membership No. 43xx

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Edited by - Myles on 28 Jan 2004 18:38:50

No no no. You lot have got it all wrong 😳.

The doors on the R300 came from the same place as mine. They were made by Jill Judd who used to advertise in Low Flying as 'Cover Up'. They are quite simply made out of the same material as the tonneau but have been IMHO very well stitched and put together.

The top of each half-door is like a is stitched in such a manner that it allows you to insert some form of strengthening (in mine I used 15mm x 10mm plastic conduit - cheap, flexible, light and strong enough). Jill will supply the poppers etc and you then are able to ensure that they match directly with the base studs on your bodywork.

They do not have the elbow 'bulge' as in the Caterham half-doors but that really doesn't seem to be aproblem due to the flexibility of the material. At least they can be rolled up and put in the boot really easily (once the conduit has been removed).

I've no idea whether Jill is still making these, but 2 years ago they cost me £70 for the pair inc. P&P. Jill's telephone no. is 01798 813389.

Chris Alston

www.C7CAT.com *cool* 1800 Supersprint

Drive it like you stole it! 😬 *thumbup*

Interesting picture here from a completely unrelated topic...

...notice how much pressure the HD is under (no idea of the speed) - a visual explanation of why it's so bl**dy wet and windy without them (although I still prefer my CC originals...)

Myles, Fair comment, although I was on the motorway at the time (I'll leave you to guess the speed 😳). HDs are now 3 years old and show no sign of wear or stretching. One of the advantages, for me that is, is that when touring two-up and a load of luggage they are very easy to store in the boot, behind the seats etc.

I agree they are probably not as good as the 'real thing' but the above and cost of the Caterham supplied HDs *thumbdown* persuaded me to give them a go.

Chris Alston

www.C7CAT.com *cool* 1800 Supersprint

Drive it like you stole it! 😬 *thumbup*

Geoff - well I persuaded Andy Baylies side impact bar onto the car just before it got dark tonight - and I'm not doing anything tomorrow other than getting the bl**dy seat bolted back in *mad*, so - weather permitting - I should be able to update the missing pics (side-doors including 'auxiliary' straps (why does *nothing* fit straight onto my car....?), SIB, sticky-plate in situ, SPA Saloon mirror replacements for the teeny SPA Formulas etc. etc.)

The HDs do indeed fit OK with the SIB in place - so all's well on that front...