Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Carbon Fibre Silencer

I.Mupferit

I have previously seen a sexy looking Carbon Fibre bodied silencer at James Whitings emporium which I had lusted after and called there today to check on availability, having decided to treat myself. Unfortunately Ruth tells me the company which made them are no longer around. Does anybody know if they are available from elsewhere, preferably re-packable and any idea what level of sound output they are likely to give?

Brent

Brent,

It was I who made them hwne I ran the Carbon Component Company. Sadly I closed the business as its profitability/time ration was not appropiate to my time free of the day job. I sold the tooling to a company called Protune who are in North London, and the metalwork can be made by Hayward & Scott in Basildon (01268 727256) who still have the jig.

Whether Protune can get the covers made i am not sure, just be sure whatever you buy is made from vacuum formed hi temp prepreg carbon lined with foil. Anything else is not durable enough.

Arnie Webb

The Fat Bloke blush.gif in a not so Slow Vauxhall wink.gif

See the R500 eater here

See the Le Mans Trip Website here

BTB Exhausts make superb exhaust systems and silencers.

Silecers are avaiable in carbon, titanium, stainless.

They will make to pattern. They made me a carbon silecer to exactly

replicate my 6" SLR silencer. Made in high temp C/F, foil lined.Fully

repackable. Their quality is second to none. SB Developments systems

are made by these people. Standard cheesman (Caterham supplied) SLR

6" silencer weighs in at almost 8KG. BTB carbon is 3.5KG. Also the

crappy cheesman cheats on obtaining correct clearence by running the

centre perforated tube diagonally through the box. hence hardly any

wadding one side and to much other side. Wadding breaks down quickly

on depleted side and box has local hot spots. I can't praise BTB enough.

Their tig and mig welding is the best i have ever seen.

The carbon tubes they use are bought in and are much more substantial

than R500 cheesman crap, which badly overheat and turn brown and then

fall to bits.

One other advantage of using a carbon silencer is that it runs cool to

the touch and so you don't have to run the strap on heat shield, saving

even more weight.

BTB Exhaust Systems. http://www.racecar.co.uk/btb/index.html

SB Developments. http://www.sbdev.co.uk/ Look under exhaust systems

for pictures and specs.

Best to take / send your silencer to BTB if you are happy with the

current shape and routing, clearences. They will then make up a jig.

They already have several jigs for various 7 and 7 type cars. Anybody

needing a SLR 6" non cat silencer, can have it off the shelf as jig

already exists.

I would suggest BTB and not SBDEV as BTB will make you a custom unit

to your specific requirements. SBDEV will supply a generic silencer

and probably won't be interested in custom work / materials (titanium etc).

BTB make all SBDEV'S kit anyway.

Edited by - tbhall777 on 12 Apr 2001 01:21:14

Edited by - tbhall777 on 12 Apr 2001 01:42:49

Brent, If Arnie was still doing CF I would be very tempted, but for my money now I would investigate Ti, especially if you have a polished ali body - the Ti looks the business and compliments the ali and sounds great and is strong and light. Check any motorcycle mags for details.

Andy

Brent, I have a stainless BTB system including carbon silencer, and am very pleased with it after three years and around 12,000 kms of hard use. the only downside was having to polish it every month or so and I have solved that by having it ceramic coated, looks great and just gets washed along with the rest of the car to keep it that way. With hindsight i would have ordered the system unpolished and used the cash saved to have it ceramic coated. Titanium might also be a good way to go. i will e-mail you a picture.

MIKE.

I want to make a titanium silencer as my stainless 5" silencer weighs 6 kilos. In terms of weight it should be possible to get it down to 3 to 3.5 kilos. I would like to stick with 5" if the noise can be kept down as I think the 6" looks too big.

Not too keen on the heat shield. Does anyone run without? Any problems with passengers burning their ankles as they get in the car? I assume this is what the heat shield is there for.

AMMO

Ammo,

I run my car without a heat shield (bl**dy huge Raceline exhaust) - so far it's claimed two burns for two different people - one of which had to go on anti-biotics to get it cleared up - nasty!

Still haven't fitted a heat shield though (just spiteful like that I guess!)

Nigel Abbott

tbh/Mike

Thanks for the replies, I will try BTB. Any ideas what the sound level is from your CF silencers and are they easy to re-pack.

I also like the idea of running without the heat shield, but wouldn't contemplate it on the standard silencer. Although it's true to say that you only burn your ankle the once; my son did when Paul Kite took him for a spin on the day I ordered mine. He now enters the car from a standing position at least 2' away!

Brent

I would love a carbon exhaust, but have stretched my self to buy the car, so would find it hard to justify spending 400-500gbp to the wife. All I want is a collector to loose the cat off my SLR. Anybody know where I can get one without spending 160gbp at Caterham. Any of you SLR owners out there who have fitted carbon systems got an oldy to sell.

Andy Mac

Brent, sound level from the carbon can is bloody marvellous!, can't tell you what decibels or whatever, nobody cares about such mundane matters here. I can tell you that the exhaust note is quieter and a deeper tone than a comparable metal item, Much better all round when you also take into account the safety aspect as well, i.e, no burnt legs, particularly as i have to get in and out on that side. (left drive)

MIKE.

Brent.

Mike Bees used an exhaust system made up for Mick Smith (modified 'K' 1800) that had a great power curve on the RR with none of the R500 'hesitation' at 5500rpm. It was made by "Powerspeed", unit 1, Oak Tree Cottage, Boat Lane, Aldington, Nr. Ashford, Kent TN25 7BL

Phone & fax 01233 720467

mob 0374 464805

Not carbon, but real good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brent, Just had a BTB Carbon jobby bespoke made myself. Wonderfully light, and quieter than the original hand made one that had loads of packing in it. Not cheap at GBP 350 + but does the business. I had a look at their welding and although of an extremely high standard, I thought SES at Croydon, who made my manifold,collector and original silencer were slightly better. A good tip when comparing welding in exhaust systems is to look inside the collector where it is the most difficult place to weld.It should be a work of art and the point where the pipes split should have perfect sharp edges, with not even a hint of 'blobbing'.

BTB though were great guys and I would have no hesitation in recomending them.

Just for info, BTB bought many carbon tubes for their exhausts from me. If they are making them still now I guess they had a stockpile or they have someone else making them now.

My cans used BTB spun ends, but the rest of the metalwork was done by Hayward and Scott.

Arnie Webb

The Fat Bloke blush.gif in a not so Slow Vauxhall wink.gif

See the R500 eater here

See the Le Mans Trip Website here