Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Armour fend

jackb_ms

Jack,

My brother bought some 3M clear adhesive protection film for his motorbike from a local paint supplier.

It is quite a wide tape. I intend buying some of this when my R300 arrives. It is likely to be a cheaper option, but is probably a bugger to fit *confused*

Edited by - Ben Long on 30 Jan 2004 20:24:22

Jack - Halfords sell a paint protection film called Foliatec for about £20 abox. You get quite a big bit but its not as good as Armourfend - thicker and less transparent

Pierre- ISTR the cost of Armourfend on the rear wings protectors was about £45 (regardless of whther you have stoneguard or not) plus fitting,. Give them a call or an email and they'll send you a price list - they are very helpful.

Having watched them do it (and having done Foliatec myself) its a bu *mad* *mad*er to fit

rmourfend is well worth the money IMHO *thumbup*

Nick

Red and Black 1.6K supersport

It's a b----r to fit but I did manage it. They supply a fixing liquid and it's essential that you keep the area flooded whilst fitting. I got the other half to spray this on whilst I attached the film, you then sqeeze out any bubbles with a flat piece of rubber which is supplied with the kit. I requested two bottles of spray fixing liquid as apparently this is the key to successful fitting, keep it flooded with liquid at all times. If the film catches a dry patch it wil stick immediately to the extent that trying to remove it will stretch the film out of shape.

I've already got stoneguards but requested the complete piece for the rear wing and I carefully cut this to fit. This gave me a large spare piece which I used around the spring bonnet toggles, a strip across the leading edge of the bonnet and a few other areas. Practise first it pays off, good luck.

Phil S7 SVN

Fitting Armourfend really is hard work if you do it yourself. I was advised to ditch their fitting solution and use a small amount of Fairy liquid in a bowl of hot water. Wet the body surface liberally, remove the backing and it should let you slide the film into place. It is actually a 3M product anyway (its printed on the backing sheet). Armourfend quote that it was developed together with 3M.... 😬

Jack,

Details of the film are as follows: -

3M Abrasion Resistant Film (clear)

Product Code - 08210

I believe it cost about £15. It measures 100mm x 2.5m.

Whilst I have not seen ArmourFend unfitted, I would imagine this film is identical/similar to what is used. It's probably a bugger to fit, but I'll probably be giving it a go *thumbup*

Edited with price.

Edited by - Ben Long on 30 Jan 2004 20:25:26

I have tried to purchase the 'Armourfend' material direct from 3M in the past (my company is recommended by 3M UK for applying their automotive vinyls) but they have an exclusive deal with Armourfend in the UK.

If someone has connections in say Germany or the US you might be able to source it direct from there and not break the 'exclusive' arrangement.

Avery do make a similar product, but they too are reluctant to sell it direct to the smaller guys.

If anyone triumphs I would be very interested in knowing how!

Gents,

Knowing very this product and this company,you should ask 3M the names of their commercial graphics distributors, where you can get it in rolls, and not pre cut as it 's made by AF

There are several types and colours,it has never designed for an exclusive automotive application

Guys,

I can get hold of this tape at £15 a box, which is pretty reasonable given that you get 2.5m of it. As mentioned, it is 100mm wide which is probably ample for application on a Caterham.

My brother has used it effectively on his Triumph motorbike.

If anybody is interested, let me know and I'll buy some in bulk *thumbup*

Ben