Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Foam Baffle - K Series

Mick Day

Just replaced the foam on my VX, the crank position toothed wheel chews little bits off which clog the oil pressure sender!

Feel the foam is a bodge to get round shallow sumps on engines designed for transverse operation and would recommend 'proper' dry sump at first opportunity. Also object to paying £16+ for piece of foam although you do get a free hand scrubber thrown in (with the VX at any rate!)

JonP

No longer Sevenless....!

As I said I don't think I'll add any foam for now. At the end of the day Caterham or was it even before them, added the foam. I guess the question is why?

1. Was there a problem and if so what was it?

2. Did the addition of the foam cure the problem?

Of course it could be that there was never a problem and the foam was added just in case?

Does anyone know the history of this and has anyone ever asked Caterham?

Just dropped the sump on my 40k mile 1.4 SS and there are big lumps of carbonised foam in it *eek*. I don't know anything of the history before I bought it 10 months ago as it has a slightly erratic service record.

I assume the foam is plastic - why *confused* Wouldn't steel do the same job without the danger (make that certainty) of going brittle and breaking up?

M1 7 SMW R200 (aka 1.4SS) Mem.No. 10376

After 2 engine blow ups on 200BHP track car i gave up and threw everything away and fitted a Pace system It's been great and the best 800 quid I ever spent So forget about your Apollos and yer foam whatsists Just bite the bullitt and fit a DS. 😬

jj

N.I. L7C AO.[at the moment]

Membership No.3927.

[For how much longer?]

I'm was just about to change this seemingly unsatisfactory piece of foam until I saw this thread. having read all your views I want to bin this foam thing, and I think you are correct in thinking that a DS system is the way to go. BUT I can't afford it!

What I do have though is a mate who can weld aluminium brilliantly and all he wants is beer in payment. I would be really grateful if anyone could point me in the right direction as to what pattern/design would be most suitable to create a baffle system that would mimic the foam or better.

Apologies if this is an hyjack

Regards

Andrew

....all the gear, no idea!

Just taken mine out as I'm in the process of stripping the engine and upgrading to 175BHP, not massive power but hopefully will put a 😬 😬 😬 😬 from ear to ear. Mine had done 6000mls since I changed it last year and it looked perfect.

Phil S7 SVN