Click here if you are having website access problems ×

electric shock!

caterhamnut

If, when fiddling with the distributer cap, one gets an electric shock, what does this point to, and what symptoms could show? Leads are all new.

I am guessing that it could be a cracked, or perhaps damp, dist. cap? Could this lead to an occasional miss when driving?

ta

NEW pictures posted

here

50,000miles in 2 years

nothing - honest! A few days ago car was a bit 'lumpy', the odd cough etc. Looking under the bonnet, fiddling as you do and got a little shock from the dist. cap. Engine/air was very damp - so that was part of it I guess, but wondered if a cracked distributer cap would cause the 'eak' and the miss. I replaced all the leads a few weeks ago.

o/t Mark - can you contact Steve and make sure he knows where he is going, time etc. Emailed him at work but I think I missed him, and only have his work phone! Got all food etc - Assorted nibbles, scallops, duck, creme brulee, coffee etc. tenner a head if thats ok!

Using tonight as an excuse to go and get the BMW DVD for tonight from a friend - lovely day for a blat!

See you later!

NEW pictures posted

here

50,000miles in 2 years

I had a spell of rough running whch was eventually cured by replacing the distributor cap, rotor arm, leads and plugs.

If you are getting a shock from the cap I suspect its cracked, especially if you have already replaced the leads. For what they cost I'd just fit a new one and a new rotor arm.

Nick

Red and Black 1.6K supersport

• Area Representative

Angus

Yes a cracked distributor cap could well be the source of a miss fire. I had a similar problem some years ago. If you lift the bonnet when its damp weather and run the engine in the dark, you might see sparks tracking across the cap.

As Nick says, it's probably a relatively cheap part and worth changing if only to eliminate a potential problem.

Paul Richards

Joint AO - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

cheers guys - cleaned the cap etc but still doing it - only at lower revs actually *confused* - but I'm going to replace the dist cap and rotor arm anyway, as the leads are already new and the cap contacts are pretty pitted.

Anyone know off hand the part numbers - will probably go to Halfords less hassle.

NEW pictures posted

here

50,000miles in 2 years