Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

removal of exhaust

david nelson

I am changing my exhaust and need help to get the manifold out. It a K series

The manifold has been undone and is of the studs but the water rail and chassie bar are in the way.

Do I remove engine mounts both sides, lift engine with a jack, remove chassie bar and pull?

advice please

thanks

David

Are the chassis bars ( I assume you mean the diagnal brace) on your car removable? On ours car, a 96 k, they un bolt at both ends. If so, its pretty easy to take the one above the manifold out, and remove the manfold.

I had to change exhausts for 24hrs (MOT!) recently, and could not get one end of this brace undone. With one end undone, it JUST flexed enough to get the manifold out, but there was blood, sweat and tears, and it only came out one way.

ISTR that later braces were welded in? In which case, can't help you I am afraid. I'm pretty sure you do not need to de-mount the engine, but I could be wrong.

NEW pictures posted

here

50,000miles in 2 years

Not likely I think, I've had my exhaust off a few times and never had to lift the engine out.

A picture would give us a better idea. Is it a problem of the floor getting in the way (ie raise the car on stands and the exhaust may have more clearance).

C7 MLE

The Furry Fast Car

Currently wondering what colour fur for 2004?

oh look Michael - we typed that at exactly the same time! ISTR you have an SV Michael (either that or I have got your cartoon VERY wrong - did you notice the 3 wipers by the way 😬) so I suspect you have a little more room in the engine bay - prepared to be corrected on that of course.

I think I tried to pull the manifold out from underneath, ISTR things like alternator and engine mount getting in the way - and the starter as well I think.

NEW pictures posted

here

50,000miles in 2 years

Have you unscrewed the studs from the head? If so it's often a case of rotating the manifold around to get it out at the best angle. I think when I did it I had the starter motor removed as well, but I have a removeable diagonal. If this still doesn't work then you may have to undo the LHS engine mount & raise the engine on a jack a fraction.

Mick

Hmmmm...seems to have been a popular job this weekend.

In my case, I removed the diagonal chassis rail, and tilted the engine slghtly by undoing one engine mount and jacking up the block. Worked a dream.

Mind you, I hadn't thought about removing the studs, that sounds like a much better solution!!

If you have the standard 4-1 (inside engine bay join) , then you need to remove the diagonal bar and you remove the engine manifold studs .

The 4-1 (outside engine bay join) then you dont have to remove anything .

Top tip - saw 20mm off the studs before refitting the manifold - this allows easy removal in future *thumbup*

Dave

Lotus 7 Club Speed Champion 2003 *eek*

South Wales Area Organiser *smile*

C7 TOP *tongue*

Edited by - Dave Jackson on 2 Feb 2004 11:48:18