Click here if you are having website access problems ×

I've made a decision on tyres/wheels, almost

johns

Having had a week of turmoil trying to decide what tyres to get after my spin with the Mitchelin Pile-ups I have reached a decision but wondered if you lot could help me make the final choice for my stndard silver 14inch wheels.

I've read ALL the recent tyre threads and chatted with Angus much over this via email to root out an an all year round tyre on the road and its a toss up between Yoko's A539 (which Dan Malkin has currently leant me to try) or Yoko AO21's which you all seem to love.

Where would your money go?

I was advised also to consider changing my wheels as well to 13 inches as the associated tyre would be cheaper to buy. I am considering the Caterham R300/R400 anthracite 10 spoke wheel or the similar 8 spoke wheel they sell. Looks cool but george Polley do a similar one which is probly cheaper.

With my road driving I intend to get through a set of tyres a year 6-7000 miles so is it really worth buying 13inch wheels from the start 🤔

BTW the car is a 1998 1.6K series Supersport.

No more tyre questions ever, promise

many thanks

John S

John, I was in this position last year. I bought the 13 inch wheels as the tyres were approx £25 cheaper per corner, and I didn't ever want to be in the position of running them with too little tread on them in order to save money. You can imagine the situation, thinking "just a few more miles on these" then crunch.

I have now just bought a second set (13 again) so I can run wet & dry tyres. They are ultimately all that connects you to the road, so are an essential safety feature ( that's what I tell my wife anyway).

Good luck

Rob

To totally confuse the situation...

My car (purchased s/h) came with CR500s on 13" KN Minators. Luvverly tyres - but I wasn't really *using* them on the road. The rears went in almost exactly 5k.

Being out of work, but expecting to do trackdays, I replaced the rears (£200) and bought a s/h set of 13" minators with Bridgestone RE720s (cheap rubber, but top of list 1B for sprinting (or is that 1A - the boggo class anyway)). The plan was to keep the 500s for the track and road my way through the bridgestones...

But the cheaper tyres turned out to be loadsa fun - much less grip than the Cr500s - but way ahead of pileups, ditchmasters etc. Even though they were buffed down to 4mm and then sprinted by the previous owner (and have done at least 3k since on my car), they are still waaaaay legal.

They move around more than the 500s - which is fine by me - I get to the limit more accessibly and learn more from the car without overreaching myself at silly speeds - and they were absolutely fine on a trackday at Snetterton (I was keeping in touch with a more experienced driver in an identical car on 500s - but perhaps I'm just a natural )

Soooo, if you are down to 529s or 21s, although I've not driven either, AFAIK, the 21s will be grippier (not too far off 500s) but won't last all that long whereas the 539s will last a bit longer and have lower limits.

As for 14" vs 13", again, I can't really comment from experience - but 13"rs will always be resaleable and everybody swears by them...

KN Minators aren't that expensive from Polley - or you try to pick up a s/h set for about 230-260 with a partially worn set of somethings on BC...

Sooo, not knowing your budget, how about some bridgestones (or similar) for boggo road work on the 14's and a set of 13s with 21s for the track...

Or am I confusing matters again.... *wink*

Keep BC free and open for ALL. Membership No. 43xx

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Oh, forgot to say that with no spare wheel, it's handy to have a spare set of wheels somewhere... you just know that the RAC/whomever won't be able to source what you're running when it all goes horribly flat...

Keep BC free and open for ALL. Membership No. 43xx

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

I've had 539s and 21s on my Seven. Trust the opinions of nearly everyone here - putting decent tyres on a Seven is one of the simplest and best upgrades you can do. 21s blow 539s away (and 539 are an OK ordinary tyre).

21s are one of the best road tyres you can buy for a Seven. I've now got CR500s but can't really offer a bad-weather opinion because my car's been off the road for all of the winter so far :-(

• Support Team

I did my first track day at Llandow about 18 months ago and the conditions were apalling - it rained all day and there was standing water on the back straight. I had no problems in those conditions using A021R tyres and was still out on track when most others had gone home. A few months later I did another Llandow day, this time in the dry - I wasn't that much quicker than I had been in the wet. To me this indicates just how good they are in poor conditions (or just how poor a driver I am *smile*).

I believe that price/performance wise it would be hard to beat the A021R. If you expect to change your tyres only once a year then it is probably not cost effective in the short term to move to 13" rims but if you intend to do trackdays and/or keep the car for many years then you need to do the sums.

Just so that you don't think that I'm biased towards 21's just because they are what I use, I intend to move to A048R's when this set wear out - but this is driven by track day use and I would probably stick with 21's for road use only.

Shaun

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Edited by - Shaun_E on 23 Jan 2004 09:13:38

John

PLEASE don't bend my rims 😬 😬 😬 but definately concur with the others, A021's are far superior to A539's....but........well 😬 😬 you probably aren't going to push the limits of the A539's in the dry mate!!

Given your annual mileage you will do a set of tyres a year with 21's, the 539's will do 3-4 years.....

As for the 13/14 inch debate..well the only issue really comes down to ground clearance given the preference of our local authority for placing speed humps etc all over the shop. My car on 13" cannot get through Ditchling village without very careful manoeuvring. Without adjustable platforms you might find that the reduced ground clearance could be a problem locally mate ☹️.

Stick with the 14's get a set of decent tyres and enjoy!!! remember, you can then secretly stash some cash aside and buy a set of 13" later in the year with special tyres... 😬 😬 (it's what I did!!)

Dannnneeeeeeeeeboy

Depend on your annual mileage

021 will last 3 less time than A539

It could be one year for 3

On stickier tyre you will use more the chassis, the de dion ...

and it is less fun

021 is more efficient, perfect on the track

but .... may be your car will be more fun on RE 720 or A539

according to your driving style

I have A539 for road 032 for track

according to my driving style 032 on the road would be a mistake

eric

Its a bit of a myth that bigger wheels give better ground clearance

Sure 14's are better than 13's if you fit same profile but this never happens

because most common 13" profile is 70, 14" equal 60 profile, 15" equal 50 profile

so as the wheel gets bigger you have less sidewall height and hey presto birtually same diameter.

Thats my 2p worth anyway.

Ive got 14's with Firestone 660's (as on car when bought) and will be junking

them asap for Yoko A021's.

Matt

1700 Supersprint, Red Loud and wearing Flares

A small, yet significant point . . . . soft and grippy tyres are not only better than harder tyres round bends, they offer far better breaking ability as well. So even if you're not going to rag it round the bends, you may fell the additional breaking ability is worth while.

The fraction of a pence per mile that A048s or whatever cost over Dark-Horses is nothing if one day you need an extra 2m of breaking zone.

J351 TPE . . . battered old X/Flow

Its a good point Adam. When we first went from pilots to 32's it was the braking grip that we first noticed during (deliberate) emergancy stop type situations.

All the above posts show that it is also an entirely personal and subjective thing as well, the feel of a car and the different driving styles etc. I disagree with some of them, but that is entirely IMO, not because they are wrong! *smile*

NEW pictures posted

here

50,000miles in 2 years

Many thanks crew

I'll read all your threads tonight when I have time to digest the info but I think i know what i'm going to do.

I'll order from George P next week.

I did infact strip the heatguard off the car last week whilst traversing a sleeping P on 13 inch wheels in Eastbourne (the jubilee clip just ripped straight off as it encountered the concrete). even though I was going diagonally and at MEGA slow speed.

thanks once again

Chat soon

John S