Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Which profile?

CageyH

I am looking at replacing my Yoko A021-R's for the first time.

I am currently running the 185/60/R13's.

Having contacted George Polley, he informs me that the 185/70/R13's are cheaper.

Has anybody experienced the 70's in comparison to the 60's?

I use the car on the road only at the moment, so track performance is not an issue (need to learn to drive it first!). I am assuming that the car will not handle quite so well due to the increase in the sidewall heght, but are there any advantages (apart from price) to having the 70 series?

I run the car as my everyday car, so I am looking at the best option available, and having read Angus & Tessa's comments, I have to say I am tempted by the 48's!

• Support Team

If you have cycle wings, make sure that the higher profile will fit under them. This shouldn'e be a problem for most cars but my 60 profile tyures only just fit and 70 profile definitely wouldn't. It is likely that the ride will improve slightly on bumpy roads, the ride height will increase slightly and speedo readings will also be affected. A few people run the 70 profile with no other adverse effects including, I believe, Keith Jecks on his R500!

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Some believe that the 70 profile adds to the handling of the seven. Something to do with the deformation of the tall side wall being an advantageous and useful part of the suspension set up for such a light car. Perhaps it contributes to that magical quality of progressiveness.

If ever you are bored just shove 21 AND tyres into the blatchat search.

My new Caterham owner's site

I run on 21Rs in 185/70/13 profile for road and track use and find them to good enough for both jobs (but then I'm only comparing them to Michelin 'Pile-ups' 😳).

My 7 has the 15" inch cycle wings as the car originally had 15" Prisoner wheels and 195/50/15 tyres. 70 profile tyres on a 13" wheel will give you the same diameter (give or take a couple of mm).

2 reasons for going for the 70 profile was that the 21Rs are cheaper than in 60 profile and it enabled me to keep the same ground to sump clearance as with the 15" wheel setup and gain some stickier rubber.

Chris Alston

www.C7CAT.com *cool* 1800 Supersprint

Drive it like you stole it! 😬 *thumbup*

I changed from 185/60/13’s to 185/70/13 A021Rs. I’d say the plus points are: better gearing for my car on the road (3.92 diff and six speed box), better ride quality (my car is quite stiffly sprung), more ground clearance (so I can actually get out of the drive without scraping the sump!), better price. The only negative point I’ve found is that they’re a bit “squirmy” when cornering hard on the road, you can feel them moving around more. I haven’t used them on the track, as I’ve got another set with 60 profiles for track days. For road use, you can’t beat them. *thumbup*

Dave *smile*

Edited by - Dave_H on 22 Jan 2004 12:13:13

I have the 'small' wings and stays and 70-profile A021s fit underneath ok - see here or here

I went for 70's because they were the same overall diameter as the 195/55x15's I used to have. I like them, plenty of grip and progressive but I cant tell you how they compare with '60s as I've not tried them.

Nick

Red and Black 1.6K supersport

Mileage wise they seem quite good as well. I bought my 1st set of 21Rs 18,000 miles ago and I'm just about to buy a 3rd set. Once they become illegal for the road, I just stick them in the garage on a spare set of wheels and keep them for the track to get the maximum wear from them. The first set are beginning to look like slicks 😳

Chris Alston

Greenpeace,

One 360 degree spin on a main road between parked cars means I am trying harder, but somewhere along the line self-preservation kicks in 😬

I'm just saying that they're good value for money especially if you keep old tyres for track work. Why abuse a set of new tyres on track 🤔

MUST TRY HARDER!!!!!

So must you, the last word in your signature is incorrectly spelt *tongue*

Chris Alston