Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Which seals for the hydraulic VX clutch setup ?

Marius

I´m currently putting together all the bits & pieces being delivered with the Caterham drysumpbellhousing (you migh have already noticed due to my 2.1 million stupid questions during the last few days...).

I´ve been told by several people that the hydraulic clutch actuator cylinder fitted to the bellhousing has to be treated a bit carefully due to sealing problems.

How do I proceed best when fitting it ? Should I grease the two outer rubber rings properly before pressing the whole cylinder into the bellhousing and do they have to get replaced after each fittment ?

Inside the cylinder there are two further seals, can these be bought seperatly from caterham cars. I think these are the two which are prone to fail.

What´s the best way to bleed the clutch afterwards ? Any other no-no´s I should know about before fiiting ?

Marius

Hi Marius

Lubricate the seals with clutch fluid before you press the cylinder into the bellhousing.

I replace ALL seals in the clutch everytime I have the engine out. They do not last very well and it is a small price to pay to avoid getting to (Le Mans ?) and then having your seals fail (which happened to me !)

No particular trick to bleeding, just do it the same as you do the brakes

See you soon

Roger

Edited by - ECR on 22 Jan 2004 09:50:09

Update: Caterham Cars offers a different cylinder since some time now which doesn´t fail anymore BUT you can´t replace the inner seals aynmore. No need to do so if it doesn´t leak anymore. If it´s broken, you´ll have to get a new one. Costs around 90 pounds as far as I know.

Might be of interest for you, Roger ?!

Marius