Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Zetec Or Not To Zetec

Bafty Crastard

Steve,

Not sure of the exact weight of the Zetec; all I know is that it is slightly heavier than the X/Flow but lighter than the Vx. There was a thread on this some time ago which showed the exact weights but I have been unable to locate it.

Michael Hi,

Don't worry about the 'K' comparisons, just a long running, but always friendly, rivalry between Chris & myself. Besides, he knows when he's been beat! smile.gif thumbsup.gif

I will hopefully mail you tomorrow with the address we are staying at, will you be able to come down?

Brent

What do Dunnell do to their engines?

I think that they alter the tappet design and fit a differently machined cam (although the profile is supopsed to be the same). Their sump is obviously baffled and modified (wider, lower) and you get a dipstick recalibrated. You also get a bespoke ECU if ordered and they'll set the carbs up for you with correct progression drillings. You get a nice manual style folder and bits n bobs and a power curve.

Personally, I'd go for weber alpha's ECU as it seems simpler to fit, and I'd use JWhiting for all the bits that you fit to it (for reasons of local tech support). I have an all Dunnell set up. Don't forget to remove all those crossflow bits that aren't engine though as I forgot and it cost a fortune to replace.

Why diodn't Caterham fit one: I'm advised that they trialled what they asked Ford for, which was not a zetec. They asked for a part number and got it. It was actually a late twin cam 2.0 ltr from a Sierra which was too big for the 7, put out low power and was rough- wasn't a zetec.

Nigel Mills - xflow

Bit late coming in on this one - been on holiday - according to James Whitting, Zetec is 20 Kilos heavier than the xflow.

Use James, very helpful, will not sell you kit you don't neeed (i.e. sump gasket - it re-uses many times).

Very glad I converted

Regards,

Allen

Bit late coming in on this one - been on holiday - according to James Whitting, Zetec is 20 Kilos heavier than the xflow.

Use James, very helpful, will not sell you kit you don't neeed (i.e. sump gasket - it re-uses many times).

Very glad I converted

Regards,

Allen

Very glad I converted

Regards,

Allen

allen

• 4 weeks later...

I think that the new Mondeo has a 2 litre "Duratech" engine which is all alloy.

How long before they end up in breakers yards?

Does anyone know if they are the same inlet/exhaust configuration as the Zetec?

Seems like the consensus is to convert from a Ital to a Ford Axle to deal with the increased power output of a Zetec engine. What is involved in coverting? How much does it cost to have the conversion done (professionally or DIY)?

Clive.

I believe that the Duratec engine is Mazda-based, and has a different bellhousing bolt pattern too. Also, for Caterham owners, the carbs & exhausts are on the wrong sides.

However, I understand that Raceline are working on putting one of these engines in a seven, so it may yet be possible.

> The interesting thing is that the Zetec lump goes in exactly where the XF lump came out.

Interesting ... but is that dependent on the gearbox? And how compatible is the cooling system? And is the overall height the same? (Thinking the unthinkable: xflow to Zetec on my Lotus series IV)

Adey

There was a thread on this last week. I think the gist of it was that according to James Whiting the Zetec won't fit under the bonnet of a S4. The existing gearbox will fit the engine however and the cooling system layout is very easy to sort.

But would be a shame though to destroy the originality of the Lotus. Why not go for a Roger King X/Flow upgrade instead?

Brent

Edited by - BRENT CHISWICK on 23 May 2001 14:39:24