Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

New *Yokohama A048 Tyres*

sgodfrey

Martin - I am sure you know this, but careful when they are cold! I don't mean that they only work when they are hot, but just when you first start driving with them at the start of a journey when it is cold outside - literally the first 10-20 minutes. I huess that is the same with any tire though.

GPolley did say that the construction of them is different from the 32's and that this means they heat up more quickly in track conditions. *thumbup*

Enjoy them - they look good don't they!

NEW pictures posted

here

50,000miles in 2 years

Be mega-careful on your first drive - they are slippy as hell for a mile or so . . . Really, really slippy - caught me quite by surprise *eek*.

A couple of hard stops and wheelspin starts will sort them out though 😬 Then they are excellent!

J351 TPE . . . battered old X/Flow

Right - no experience of CR500's but by all account they are supposed to be very good in the wet - main reason for going Yoko for us is the difference in price.

48's are better in standing water than 32's

21's are better than both in the standing water

We have started to use 48's all year anyway, with the knowledge that we should be careful in very wet conditions on the road. I think they are a superb tire.

21's will overheat on a dry trackday, but having said that they are still a superb tire, and as some one said in another post today, they must be one of the top choices for performance/price.

If you are not sure, and will maybe drive in the wet/damp, go for the 21's - they are very good.

Get the 48's otherwise - a little more than the 32's but a lot newer and supposed to be superior. Approx price is

21's - £40

32's - £50

48's - £58

- give or take a pound or 2.

In conclusion Greg - I think the 48's are superb in all conditions, and fantastic in the dry - well worth the extra care in the wet, when they are still pretty damn good.

I have written more in similar recent posts, or on our website in the technical/tires section.

Hope this helps.

NEW pictures posted

here

50,000miles in 2 years

Edited by - angus&tessa on 21 Jan 2004 18:47:38

When we has 32's we always had the 'Soft' compound, on the basis that it might last longer in general use than 'Supersoft', but I have since heard that it is quite common to fit 'Soft' 32's on the rear and SuperSoft on the front, to increase front grip and hopefully decrease understeer etc.

I asked GPolley what compound the 48's were in comparison. I honestly cannot remember the answer - but a quick call to then will answer any questions on that - they have always been very helpful as far as discussing tire types, compounds and suitability of each make/type etc.

NEW pictures posted

here

50,000miles in 2 years

Angus, that's what I was on about - twas the first time I'd experienced it. Experienced Cat owners - indeed anyone who's used this type of tyre before, will be familliar with it. I hadn't and wasn't and as such, found out the hard way - i.e. by slipping all over the place. Unless you've been told there's nothing to tell you when the tyres arrive - they don't *look* like they are covered in something slippy.

J351 TPE . . . battered old X/Flow