Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Removing aluminium corrosion

Nifty

Nifty, sorry for the hijack but along similar lines, will any of the Chemical solutions work with 2 alluminium parts that are (I think) corroded together.

I have adjustable suspension that is seized, although I didn't think aluminium suffered from corrosion in this way.

This may sound a stupid question but does it normally require a lot of force to seperate 2 aluminium components that are seized together (all things being equal)?

Michael.

Nick, yes I am having the frame blasted and recoated but I am thinking of keeping some of the internal aluminium panels to keep the costs down, though increasingly getting tempted into a complete repanelling job!!

Keep off the straight and narrow *tongue* 😬

I have nothing against WestField but, aluminum dispite of its ability to corrode and fragility, having a real metal sheet on a cautomobile adds certain value. Personally,I think Caterham will be a lot less of an attractive object with out its metal skins.

Note that if you use the wire brush route it needs to be BRASS not steel. Same for the rotary ones. This is 'cos when the inevitable bristles come out and get where you can't see 'em they don't corrode the same as steel. Also, brass brushes are less aggresive so you can remove corrosion and still have material left at the end! Etch primer over the freshly cleaned parts will protect until the top coat/whatever is applied.