Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Quick Racks, 8% or 22%??

Nick Pargiter

Am looking to replace the steering rack on a Vx powered car and was considering changing to a quick rack. The question is which one to go for. Would the 8% make much difference, and would the 22% be too much considering the Vx lump up front.( want to be able to park it without having to get arms like Arnie Schwarzenegger! )

Nick

Nick,

Go for the 22% one, steering just becomes a thought process, and rest assured it doesn't noticably increase the steering load.

One thing to remember, I believe that the 22% rack only comes in narrow track, so if your car is wide track you will need the unsightly steering arm extension pieces.

Alan

Gota go for the 22% , I changed from the 8 % last year the car is now easier to control on the limit - one big twist and your on full lock !! ( normally opposite teeth.gif) , and great on the road where you just "think" the car around the bend .

The steering is noticably heavier at less then 20mph but this is more than compensated for at speed where your reaction times to a slide are reduced .

Dave

I have specced 22% rack on the car I am building. Caterham assure me that the extensions are no longer needed as they now have longer arms fitted for widetrack. They do however want to charge £50 + VAT over the price of the 8%? Seems odd that Demon T&(*^%$ charge the same for both and if you check out the price list hidden in the Caterham CD the prices are also the same(albeit 1999 prices). I would be interested to hear if they charge you the same premium.

ALan Wain

L7 VVC (by August I hope!)

Al - had the same to me on my caterham order (Kit delivery may 11th) they wanted to charge me more money for parts that cost the same, so I went for the standard 8% rack. A decision I may regret and then have to upgrade.

I may also try and swap it at the parts department once the kit arrives and see if I can get away with it :-)

A more stupid thing was they wanted to charge me 100 quid extra for silicon hoses , when they are only 70 as spares! So needless to say I ordered via the web site some hoses and will keep the standards as spares.

When I pointed these anomalies out tothe sale boy, I got a very blank look :-)

Rob