Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Painting wheels

Richie

I have 13" Minilites on my car that I only use for racing. Only one of the 3 sets of wheels/tyres that I have have wheels in good nick. I want to spray the other 2 sets of wheels in chrome silver. Does anybody have any experience with this? What paint is best to use? Can I just use a spray can from Halfords? Bear in mind that this is for racing not concourse.

Help very much appreciated.

Richie

Yes, A spray can would be fine. Preparation is key smooth, dust free, grease free.

The trick is to let the paint go on thick enough and evenly to give a good finish but not so thickly that it runs. Leave 5 mins before each coat and apply as many thin covering coats so as to build up a good finish. Don't try to do it all in too few coats.

I have sprayed wheels with cans and boot lids and panels with proper spray equipment using this procedure with good success.

Forgot to say. Choose a spray specifically for aluminium wheels.

If you are spraying directly on to bare ali then you need to etch prime first.

Perhaps some spray cans are designed for ali these days...

This is 2 pack cyanide based stuff and you need breathing masks etc for that really.

If you are just rubbing down an existing finish to give a key and spraying then providing there is no bare ali any paint would do.

I'm faced with the same problem. I've bought (in readiness to do the job) some Rustoleum paint, primer and clear lacquer (for the rims!). Having had experience of this paint on other things (bench vices etc..) - it is SUPERB - rock hard, won't chip (easily) and is resistant to most chemicals (read brake dust). They paint bus wheels with it - so it's bound to last longer than any paint from halfords!

Nigel Abbott