Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Apollo tank fitting - calling Angus

Mrs Kipper

Hi

I have just bought the Apollo kit and as everyone has said the instructions and particularly the phots are cr@p.

Therefore I did the only thing possible in the circumstances and accessed your website *thumbup*

One question to begin with, is your Apollo really only held on with just cable ties? Nothing riveted on at all? Have you had any problems?

Kipper

Fun is not a straight line.

Kipper

My apollo is fixed in two places. Firstly, an alluminiuim plate (as you a fellow sprinter I suggest you use lead 😬) with a hole cut out for the drain plug is pop rivetted underneath to the chassis tubes, the apollo then locates in the hole with the weight taken by the plate. Then on the top chassis a small rectangle is pop rivetted to the tube so that a large jubilee clip can be placed around this and the apollo.My installation was carried out by the 7 Workshop and has not given any problems. Good luck with the sandwich plate *eek*.

See you at Lydden

Mark D

Su77on Se7ens *cool*

Making plans for the 2004 Sprint Season

I think just using cable ties is asking for trouble, if not dangerous. Think of that tank coming loose at speed, full of 120 degrees (hot) oil close to the alternator belt and exhaust. The tank should sit on the alloy platform. Use both the formed metal rectangles, firmly rivetted to the chassis. Secure the tank to the rectangles with the jubilee clips supplied. Keep the cable ties for tying cables

BTW look at the assembly guide for decent photos, as suggested

Malcolm

Edited by - Englishmaninwales on 20 Jan 2004 19:22:40

I don't even lie the hose clips.

I used my version of the lower plate but put a rubber grommit in the hole - ali rubbing on ali didn't fill me with pleasure.

For the top I used a large, rubber lined 2-part pipe clip, welded to a rubber lined pipe "P"-clip round the chassis tube. A little bit of insulation and no ali fretting on ali or steel.

My only moment of "oh ffffffff" came when I was grinding back the bottom of the block to allow more room for the hoses to pass and I appeared to have opened up a hole - it appears to be one of the manufacturing postioning/datum holes in the sump face of the block so no worries!

Bri